Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

todd landis, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: 1956 Build Slip Codes
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Excellent research as always Brian! I look forward to seeing the updates.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 20:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any idea what the HS high speed car equipment would consist of and why Patrician only or the racing equipt for Clipper?

Posted on: 2008/9/21 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HK Hassock 5682 only ?????????

Packard offered a toilet in the 56 Patrician????? That's hilarious. GUFAW !!!!

But why only the Pat??? This all raises alot of questions.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe "High Speed equipment" and "Racing equipment" also makes me wonder. There was no Interstate hiway sytem in 56 and very little until about 1962. So i'm wondering if the High Speed eq. was for the western states. Maybe Police use or FBI ???.

With the discovery of the forged crank maybe that was part of the High Speed or racing eq. option. What other engine or drive train internals may have been part of it?

I'm real interested in the valve timing of hte V8's.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 20:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
PackardV8 -

"Hassock" as in footrest.

It was a seperate, carpeted, wedge-shaped piece for the rear seat occupants, offered as a set of two - one per each side. You can scarcely make this out in one of the pics included in the DriveReport on a '56 Patrician that was published back in 1976 in Issue #36 of Special Interest Autos.

Until the Exec came along, Patrician was the only sedan in the Packard line, but had been offered in Series prior to the V8s.

Perhaps others can fill in the rest of the story.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 21:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
PackardV8 and HH56-

Unfortunately, as noted in one of my recent posts on this, no other details are provided in those documents.

WRT to high speed and racing equipment, I should point out that Studebaker was working on a "Jet Streak" package for the 56J Golden Hawk, which, quoting directly from the July '56 issue of Motor Trend, would consist of "an Iskanderian cam, Packard Caribbean dual 4-barrel carburetors and manifold, dual break distributor, and a special coil". However, this "Jet Streak" package was cancelled by the factory, never available to the public. (Do not confuse this with "Jet Thrust" engines - Avanti mills as used in '63-'64 Larks and Hawks.)

Yet, some have seen other Isky parts for the Packard V8 have turn up on eBay, on occasion.

Hopefully, someone will come up with some factory letters that will enlighten us.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 21:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the torque converter in 400 (and all HTs) different with a higher stall speed, don't know if that would be considered speed equipt--although it might explain why HS was something for Patrician only since it would have had the regular converter.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 21:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"Yet, some have seen other Isky parts for the Packard V8 have turn up on eBay, on occasion."

As far as i know Isky was strictly aftermarket that was never offered in production (as option or otherwise) from any of the car makers. But maybe Isky, if they are still in bussiness, might have some historical documentation on Packard. Just other avenue to explore.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Isky's still in business:http://www.iskycams.com/

Posted on: 2008/9/21 21:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brian's updated versions (55 & 56) have now been posted. Same article pages, just updated PDFs.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/9/21 23:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved