Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23 series trunk handle separation.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Anyone know for sure how to separate the handle from the escutcheon? (from club coupe)
Looks like they crimped the back side to a conical steel clip and if it's not separated right looks like it might not go back together. Forgot this piece since I took off long ago and need to get to chrome. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 9:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 23 series trunk handle separation.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe your handle is similar to the 47 and if so, the sleeve is crimped on opposite sides and those crimps fit into notches in the casting.

If handle is similar, I was able to remove the sleeve by lightly clamping the sleeve in a vise. When the crimps were made the sleeve was elongated slightly so at the widest point in the sleeve is where I started with the clamp. NOT tight but snug -- just so the handle could still move slightly and the sleeve did not. That way I was able to gently rotate the handle while the sleeve was stationary letting the round handle portion of the casting sort of push the crimps back out. This process was repeated several times. In between the rotating at the vise, I used the wide claws of a tack puller under the sleeve to gently work it off. The escutcheon plate was free to rotate so I just walked the tack puller around the sleeve a couple of times so it had equal pressure and was being pushed off straight. It took several back and forth trips between vise and tack puller. Finally the sleeve was loose enough to come off.

In replacing, it should be able to be accomplished by gently tapping the crimps back down into the notches with a punch or dull chisel. If that turns out not feasible or not tight enough, then don't see anything that would prevent drilling and inserting a small screw or two to hold the sleeve.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.68 KB)
209_53875303e8eb7.jpg 1140X674 px

jpg  (50.72 KB)
209_5387530e149fc.jpg 1172X704 px

Posted on: 2014/5/29 10:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks, HH. I'll try to ease it off.
Mine's similar except the escutcheon is larger and has a lock hole. If handle's detented like yours it should work.
I dont; know if I'm putting back on but want the option. I might delete and use a remote trunk switch for a smoother look but am fixing all the chrome trim - it'll be worth more.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 16:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's a go.
Once you work it to a quarter turn, clip prys off quite easily.
I'm guessing it's better to recrimp both sides at once than try to peen one side at a time? You have to hold the handle in tight or it'll rattle. The spacer is a spring clip.
Something like a big pair of tongs or crimps. We had a tool like that from grandpa for pulling cut nails but I thinks it's history. Packard or their supplier probably had a machine for that.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 20:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved