Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 65

Ross, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Six Battery
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
Time for a new battery, several people have suggested an 8-volt battery available at Tractor Supply for additional cranking power without damaging any of the 6-volt circuits -any experience with this concept???

Posted on: 2014/6/10 14:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Six Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't do it, it's a terrible idea. Get a good 6-volt battery, proper size cables ("O" gauge at least) and clean connections and with a starter motor in good shape and an engine in good tune you should have near-instant starting. 8-volt batteries require reworking the generator control and also will give shortened life to other electricals, most especially light bulbs.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 15:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I agree with Owen - terrible idea.

Posted on: 2014/6/10 15:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
I also and strongly agree with the guys. The key with a system of any voltage is the proper wire gauge, making sure things are in good working order and that all connections are clean and tight.

For the starter cable, I use 00 gauge; I've built many of these for people in the last few years to the delight and surprise of the owners. On the ground side, the braided wire will (two in many Packard cases) needs to have clean connections to the car. Make sure any paint or gunk is cleaned off to allow for a large contact area for huge current to get through.
Pat

Posted on: 2014/6/16 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
On my 39 120, I used 00 cable from the battery to the starter. The easiest way is to go to NAPA and buy the correct length of cable, then get a self -soldering lug for the end. The soldering of the lug to the cable helps forestall the effects of oxidation. A crimped and soldered connection is about three times better than a crimped one. This also holds true on the lighting circuit. I installed two ground wires; one from the battery to the transmission, and another one from the transmission to the frame. As stated in the previous postings, be sure to scrape the paint and crud off the frame/bolts/etc before installing the wires. Lock washers also help mechanically.

8 volts is a bad idea - your car will eat bulbs like popcorn. Ask me how I know!

Posted on: 2014/6/16 17:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved