Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 164

moodydavid16, dallas, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Packard aluminum head
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think a finned head with the fins milled off would be any good to a restorer, as it would still not look original.

Maybe not but one would have to see what the look turned out to be. They were painted originally so that covers a multitude. If it could be cast both with and without fins but with the typical ID markings using the same basic patterns then so much the better. My point is that there is a lot of work that will be going into making the item and if there could be a way found to make the casting do dual purpose I would think the return on investment might be more favorable.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 15:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard aluminum head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
The casting would just be a swap of the top of the mold. A damaged head in hand would be good to go off of that way everything can be lined up exactly as needed. The foundry is OK doing a "restoration" head and it seems that a market exists. The Factory heads were raw cast and painted. A finer casting would be achievable, the porosity issues with early aluminum casting are all but gone with 60+ years of casting advancement. Like I said the heads as ordered from the foundry will be cast finish (though machined to where you can install it) But I would be open to polishing the heads as requested at my shop in Florida.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 15:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved