Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Packard aluminum head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I have a friend that has an aluminum foundry. He is interested in casting a run of finned aluminum heads for the post war L8 engines (288, 327, 359). I do not have a lot of details cost, turn around time, or how many he would need to do a run. But is anyone is seriously interested let me know he is estimating the cost to be below $2000. We are just putting feelers to see if it would be a viable option.

Posted on: 2014/6/21 0:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard aluminum head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You might do better reproducing the Prewar HC heads for the V-12 and Senior Eights.

Those motors benefit from the higher compression and aluminum by running cooler. Especially the V-12 which has the thermal efficiency of a mobile furnace. As well, most of the original heads are shot.

While you are at it, reproduction oil pump housings might sell well for all makes of cars given those old pumps are all shot. But that would require doing cast iron.

Posted on: 2014/6/21 7:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
This is a performance application not a reproduction part deal. Reproducing prewar V12 parts would be even ore of a niche market than the later L8s. Casting cast iron is not an option.

Posted on: 2014/6/21 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I'm sorry I commented. High performance Packard 8 is a pretty absurd notion and nobody is going to buy one.

Posted on: 2014/6/21 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
No more absurd than a flat head ford only those have aftermarket support. In today's world it is quite easy to make respectable horsepower out of any engine the Packard 8 is no exception. Mine for instance will be high performance and we are offering parts for those who want more power and effency from theirs.

Posted on: 2014/6/21 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There has been some discussion of hopping up the Packard straight eight. Several people have talked about buying high compression aluminum heads but I don't know how many would shell out $2000.

My guess is you would be lucky to sell 10 a year.

Somebody in Texas was supposed to be making heads for Packard eight and V12 engines but I don't think they ever delivered any. Whether it was a scam or they bit off more than they could chew, I couldn't say.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I will be sending him one of my spare iron heads so he can do some 3D modeling off of then and make the needed adjustments to go from cast iron to aluminum. He is expecting very small numbers, but he likes taking on unique projects and has done wome work with the V12 Lincoln engines as well as L8 Pontiacs. He has a tentative price set the price set between 1200-1500. In my opinion that is not to shabby it is on par with a set of aftermarket heads for a more conventional engine (though they are more complex). It seems that he is OK with a small run something like half a dozen heads or so.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 20:58
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gary209h
See User information
I would be interested in the Aluminum head as I have two, but they are the 356ci.
Gary

Posted on: 2014/6/26 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
Tim Cole said: "High performance Packard 8 is a pretty absurd notion and nobody is going to buy one."

This attitude is why nothing ever gets made for Packard. If you want the packard hobby to exist after your generation, you'd better HOPE some performance parts become available. Otherwise the only parkcards left will be non runners in museums.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Are the aluminum V8 heads next
You could add Singh grooves the the flat head though.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 19:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved