Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fuel filter element
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You see these items by the dozens in car show flea markets, should be easy to find one including the housing for about $10. There was also a smaller paper element made by AC which could replace the ceramic element, also common in flea markets.

Posted on: 2007/5/3 8:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The suggestion of swap meets for a paper or original ceramic and even the Ford inline would be easier, but I don't frequent many meets and also wanted something almost original in appearance so that said, I have been using a Purolator paper filter removed from a modern plastic housing for about a year.

After seeing this thread a week or so ago, decided to document it but got sidetracked. Will send Kev some pictures and my procedure later today or tomorrow. It was not too hard, was readily available, fits pretty well, passable in looks, and using that as a starting point maybe others can suggest alternatives requiring less work or opinions as to whether the one piece I made that might be an issue for others is needed.

Posted on: 2007/5/3 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I just don't see why people don't put an inline filter before the fuel pump, leave the bowl minus the element, and be done with it???

Posted on: 2007/5/3 11:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I agree, the filter at the pump is much easier. I had one of the hose inlines there for a while (not the Ford because I hadn't seen anything like that in plain view at the parts store and it is a good solution) but finally decided to play around with the ceramic when I had the carbs rebuilt and got a new pump hose.

For anyone that wants to see what I did, made another and have done a brief writeup. Will email to Kev to post as its a bit large for here. Am sure there will be differences of opinion, and hope others have some more ideas after seeing this attempt. The one ring piece that requires a bit of work makes it more than a 5 minute job and I'd like to eliminate it somehow but didn't feel comfortable doing so then --or now without feedback.

ADDENDUM: An easier ring has been looking at me for several hours, that being a thin 1/4" wide brass strip from a hobby shop. As long as the metal of element fits flush and tight against the outlet, the ring does not have to be a solid piece. All it is for is to center things and prevent element from getting cocked or sliding and letting gas bypass. It shouldn't be too hard to cut off a proper length and bend it into a decent circle. It could be soldered if wanted to make it solid.

Posted on: 2007/5/3 17:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, thanks for sending that write up. It is now posted as an article.

Posted on: 2007/5/3 20:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Howard, that is a brilliant discovery. I'll try it as soon as i can get a filter element as u directed.
I much prefer the glass site bowl so i can keep track of the fuel line/ tank condition and your method provides for that.

Posted on: 2007/5/7 22:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've come up with a different way to install the Purolator filter described above. I'll try to get pics posted later on this week.
Cutting the plastic housing is fairly ez if u chuck the filter in a drill press and use a carpet knife to cut the clear plastic case as it spins. Spin it at LOW speed.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My approach is different from Howards. See pics.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.55 KB)
35_465a38518ad8b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/5/27 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Installed on car.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.03 KB)
35_465a38e1f2573.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2007/5/27 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for posting your solution but I can"t quite make out the details. Did you use part of the original plastic body? If so, what did you wind up doing to it?

Posted on: 2007/5/29 10:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved