Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 Manifold Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I have posted a question in the past regarding the attached photo of a shaft that runs through the manifold on a 38 6 cylinder engine. One end has a slot that protrudes out of the manifold. There is an obvious exhaust leak there. It appears that their was a piece attached at one time. Can someone explain to me if there is a way to seal this to stop the exhaust leak. Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (97.03 KB)
58975_5473f1a23c6df.jpg 1280X533 px

Posted on: 2014/11/24 21:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Manifold Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like part of the heat riser valve. Here is a photo from a later manifold but the setup was typical for many years. The slot would be for the thermostatic spring and the other end had a weight.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.74 KB)
209_5473f4a5a9c53.jpg 681X380 px

Posted on: 2014/11/24 22:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I had a similar problem on my '39 6cyl, the shaft and plate were frozen in the closed position and the motor wouldn't run well as it warmed up. I pulled it all out while I had the manifold off, taped the holes for some 3/8 pipe plugs and screwed them in. I cut a piece of 1/16th copper plate to seal off the bottom of the intake side and all is working well.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hi John,
When I removed the shaft I did not feel resistance as if something was connected to the shaft. I wonder if it would be ok to tap and plug both sides of the manifold ? What do you think ?

Posted on: 2014/11/24 23:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you HH 56 for the diagram

Posted on: 2014/11/24 23:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
If your motor is running OK now but just has the exhaust leak then it would certainly be worth a try to tap and plug the holes. You could easily fix this later on if you have the manifold off the car by making some press in bushings.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 5:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you John , the engine runs great, I think I will do just as you said.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 7:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
We run into issue fairly often at our restoration shop as many other engines besides Packard used a similar design. We normally remove the shaft, flap, and spring. Then enlarge the holes install bushings and then fitting the bushings to the shaft. In some cases we will make a new shaft as they can have grooves worn into them from years of use. We then reassemble and lubricate with graphite. Think of it like a throttle shaft on a Carb. A good machinist should be able to do it for you if needed.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2014/11/25 8:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved