Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

humanpotatohybrid, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiring Diagram
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Hi all,

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for my 52 Packard 300. My manual has one in it, but it says it's for a 24th series, and doesn't seem to say anywhere if it's the same as the 25th series. So...........I'm looking.

any help appreciated. I did search the forums.

Chuck in AZ

Posted on: 2008/9/27 15:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring Diagram
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are 25th series specs in Nov 51 service counselor:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?106

specs and wiring is in Vol 25 #13.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 15:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
thank you........big time!

Do those circuit breakers reset on their own? Do you know.

After quite a while sitting, I turned the key and heard like a fuse going. I'm assuming it was one of those breakers on the backside of the instrument panel.

Looks like I've got a lot of old frayed wire to replace.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 16:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They do reset depending on what tripped them but if a prolonged problem exists such as a direct short you may never see the reset & CB may actually be damaged to point of replacement. Sometimes they weaken with age also and trip at less than rated load. I know that was a problem I had on a 51 when the breaker on headlight switch tripped after a few minutes of high beam. It would reset, stay on for a few minutes, then off again. Since yours happened with key, your guess of frayed wire probably correct.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
HH56, the same thing happened to my headlights! it is rather annoying to be driving along on the highway an have all of your lights suddenly quit. luckily, it happened just after i passed under a bright traffic light, so i could see to pull over. the lights kicked back on after a minute or so.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 22:25
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
HH56, the same thing happened to my headlights! it is rather annoying to be driving along on the highway an have all of your lights suddenly quit. luckily, it happened just after i passed under a bright traffic light, so i could see to pull over. the lights kicked back on after a minute or so.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 22:25
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I got the genuine Bosch relays and sockets on ebay from:
br340@aol.com. He is seller br340 from California. I have the relays wired for the Caribbean and will do Best Other later this year.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 22:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Randy, I think the relays are a good idea that I would/will probably do also if I ever drive my car farther than the end of the driveway at high noon. Eliminates a lot of connection and marginal wire size issues. I saw your pictures of the relay mount but don't remember you mentioning where you decided to bring the hot from and how you fused. Would you mind sharing?

On the standard system, the places I have found with past issues are the dimmer switch and the ground at headlight junction terminal strip. A bit of corrosion on any terminal anywhere though, and the resistance (and current) increase--maybe to the point that it might be pushing the breaker causing mikec's problem.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I wired the low and high beam headlights on my '47 through a relay also since I converted them to the much brighter Bosch H4 halogen conversion lamps. I powered the relay from a 10 Guage wire connected at the starter solenoid where the battery cable connects. The new wire harness I installed a few years back is at least 12 gauge so I left that alone. Relays help save the light switch and provide less resistance for power to the lights giving better illumination. I wired my auxiliary driving lamps to a relay also and for the same reasons.

Posted on: 2008/9/28 13:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved