Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 214

Ross, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: need informations
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Thanks. He and I have communicated several times. I myself have been working on a book on the 22nd and 23rd series cars. Mine covers all of the models from 8s to Customs, to commercial cars. I have been working, slowly, on the book for the past three years. I current have just over 250 pages and somewhere around a hundred photographs. Mostly I need some quality photos of the commercial/professional cars.

Posted on: 2008/10/3 21:15
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packyboy
See User information
Hello,

What is my engine if I L60xxxxxx code located on the side of the left rear engine?

What is the number listed above heater core location in the engine bay?

I need a photo showing the full serial number and location for a packard 51 (2462) as an example because I find it difficult to know mine, because I tried to put the car in my name and office licenses they tell me that does not exist, then I am bothered.

Thank's

Posted on: 2008/10/7 21:54
I'm not perfect bilingual,but i do my best!!!!

Packard 1951 8L 327pc
Ford Customline 1953 V8 flathead 239pc
Buick Lesabre custom convertible 1970 V8 350pc
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The L6xxxxx motor would be a 327, 9 bearing, hydraulic lifter engine from either a 1953 Carribean or Patrician.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 21:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
See the first two paragraphs of my recent post in a thread on VIN#'s:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1599&forum=3&post_id=14112#forumpost14112

The rest of that post is more specfic to the V8 cars.

Based on the presence of a Carter 4-bbl. (WCFB) carburetor in pix that you posted previously in this thread, I felt, even then, that the engine in your 1951 car was not original to the car, but was transplanted from a 1953-54 model.

BigKev has it right - the "L" series of motor serial numbers are from 1953. That number for a 1951 motor would have a "J" prefix.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packyboy
See User information
Hello!

So if I understand it, this is not the original engine of the car, then I have to be careful when ordering parts.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:06

Packard 1951 8L 327pc
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Most of the exterior engine parts are all the same. It just the internal engine parts that would be different.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packyboy
See User information
Hello!

Thank you for the information!

And the timing and firing order, is this the same as a 288 original?

Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:21

Packard 1951 8L 327pc
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Some antique auto parts suppliers (perhaps knowing that engines could be swapped between some years) used to ask for the motor serial number to help insure that you would get the correct parts for the motor itself.

However, some external parts ARE different - like the carburetor.

I believe the Carter 4-bbl. WCFB first appeared in regular production Packards with the 1953 (26th Series) models. However, the model number of the carburetor was reassigned as the design evolved, and interal parts may differ between models. Carburetors of that era were supplied with a brass tag fastened under the head of one of the air horn (or float bowl cover, if you please) that had the model number stamped on it. However, over the years, those tags were often lost by thoughtless mechanics.

The carburetor, if orginal to that engine, might be a WCFB 985S model, which includes 300/400 chassis. We have a factory specfication sheet for that model archived here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?132

Yet, I see, from the Model Info pages for 1953/236th series, that those cars may have also used a WCFB 2084S model. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to tell you how it would differ from the 985S, and no spec sheet is presently available here.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And the timing and firing order, is this the same as a 288 original?

All Packard straight 8s except the 1st and 2nd Series of the middle 1920s have the same firing order, 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Another good parts supply house is Max Merritt. They're not quite as pricy as the boys in Boonton! Go to:http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/

Posted on: 2008/10/8 8:29
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved