Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Clipper defroster/footwarmer vs underseat heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I am amused by the arrows they show in the illustration denoting air flow. The chances of hot air they show getting to the drivers side in any great quantity is not high. Unless the car is equipped with the optional fresh air vent that brings outside air into the rear of the unit, all air is recirculated. Intake is on the right side of the unit directly above and behind the small door. Not much probability hot air will make it to drivers side before getting sucked back in. I suppose with the defroster function moving most of the air eventually the car temp will warm and even out but until it does it is mukluk time for anyone with cold feet.

Howard, the Soviets knew mukluks too but ZIS Dualstream version seems to feature an extra outlet at the left side (well, they were leftists by definition...). Or is this an inlet for air circulation on closed circuit?

Attach file:

jpg  (21.79 KB)
757_556b720e8420e.jpg 302X500 px

Posted on: 2015/5/31 15:34
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a much larger door and on the opposite side than on the Packard version. If it mounts in the same location on the ZIS it looks as if the driver would get some benefit from the footwarmer portion. The Packard version door is 1" wide and just over 2" long. With the large air intake just behind the door I can't help but think most of the warm air delivered by the door and directed toward the passengers feet would get caught in the circulation and sucked right back into the unit.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.45 KB)
209_556b749e20d8c.jpg 1280X1065 px

Posted on: 2015/5/31 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...If it mounts in the same location on the ZIS it looks as if the driver would get some benefit from the footwarmer portion. ..

Yes, it is mounted in the same location.

Quote:
...With the large air intake just behind the door I can't help but think most of the warm air delivered by the door and directed toward the passengers feet would get caught in the circulation and sucked right back into the unit.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Yes, I'm with you. Stalins engineers obviously came to the same result. They knew a thing or two about cold of winter. No door anymore at the right side. One of the few instances for Soviet added value.

foot rag source: peterscorps.org

Attach file:

jpg  (17.55 KB)
757_556b812da2124.jpg 400X325 px

Posted on: 2015/5/31 16:44
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved