Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New member saying hello
Just popping in
Just popping in

ChaseR
See User information
Hi guys,

Just wanted to take a minute to say hello to everybody. My name is Chase and I just joined the forum a couple days ago after lurking the past few weeks. I was drawn to the forum by my love of engines... I've always been fascinated by them, especially odd, or at least, non-mainstream ones.

I've been spinning wrenches on various car muscle car projects for the last 15 years... half my life, and I finally reached a burn out point.

So I started thinking about the cars that first caught my interest as a child, cars from the 20's and 30's. I'd never given much thought to owning one as never felt comfortable with the thought of driving one in modern traffic. So I decided to build myself a car that looked old but has some modern upgrades for safety.

I had my plan, so I starting thinking engines... no way would I run SBC, and a Ford Flat Head wouldn't do either, then I decided on a straight eight. Researching inline 8's led me to the best ones ever made, which led me here .

I've been reading as much as can trying to learn all things Packard, and I must say my goals for the project have changed. I no longer want to build some run of the mill Hot Rod with a unique engine...

I want to build an elegant speester, one that uses as many well-engineered Packard parts as I can. If can find a suitable (meaning otherwise non-restorable) car to start with, I have no doubt I can really build something special.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 23:36
 Top  Print   

Re: New member saying hello
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Welcome aboard. As you will see, I have extra motivation to applaud your speedster idea. There are many 51-54 Packard sedans out there that no one is ever going to restore because of rust or plating expense. One of the short wheelbase sedans makes an excellent basis for a custom speedster because of the reliable mechanicals. In addition, the frame is double drop for lowness--and more importantly for this sort of craziness, it is a simple trapezoid that lends itself to the form of a speedster body. The 41-50 frames do not.

This is my first roadster, built on a 51 200 chassis shortened about 10 inches. Other than some incidental hardware, it is all Packard. That was far cheaper and easier than assembling components from a catalog. The 1400 pound weight reduction means it is impossible to overtax the brakes, and the slightly warmed 288 will get it to 100 in very short order. I am collecting components for another, but haven't been able to collect the time.....

Anyway, would be happy to discuss ideas with you.

Attach file:

jpg  (184.27 KB)
618_550171151979f.jpg 1236X825 px

jpg  (164.19 KB)
618_5501714632b2a.jpg 1280X986 px

jpg  (169.11 KB)
618_550171a45355d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/3/12 6:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Good work! What you are doing is similar to what happened in the late 40's and after with old fords and chevys. Cut them down and strip them, make them go faster and look cool

Posted on: 2015/3/12 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
ChaseR,
Not sure what your going for, but Ross has done amazing things with his "fun with cars" thread on this site. I like how he uses Packard parts to make what he does.

The PAC site has other cars to look at too,http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=a720abd800b4ec7c37e0d96623221029

Try and make it to the Texas Packard Meet.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 12:50
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ChaseR
See User information
The roadster that Ross built (great work BTW) and the positive support that his fellow board members offered was the reason I stopped lurking and started posting.

I was worried at first my idea wouldn't go over well, I've read enough posts to understand that most everybody on this forum are fans of stock style restorations... which I totally respect.

My plan, as best as I can lay it out for now (still all in my head):

I want to use a pre-IFS chassis from a car that is otherwise un-restorable... do to a collision, body rust, etc. IIRC that means Pre-120 six cylinder cars and pre-1937 eights? I'm still not 100% up to speed on Packard model designations. I've found 2 cars in the last couple days in the $1500-2000 range that are just a couple years too new, but somebody aleady attacked them with Mustang II front ends. If I find a fairly complete car with some good extra parts, then I'll make sure they go to other cars that need them, not the trash.

Although a later chassis would make for a better driving car, the beam front axle with leaf springs is an unmistakable feature of early racers and speedsters.

I'd like to use a much stock running gear as possible, like 6v electrical, the generator, the chassis lubricator and the maybe even mechanical brakes... I read the '32 to '36 brakes were actually quite good. I've never worked on any of these early systems, which is why I am so fascinated by them.

For the engine I was planning to use a 356, it has enough cubic inches to make decent power and seems to be fairly easy to obtain (I am nervous about the working on the crank though). I really have nothing against the earlier built up engines (man that aluminum crankcase is a work of art), but the big 385s seem to be difficult to find and expensive. Not planning on going crazy with the engine, just try to boost the compression a little, smooth out around the valves, maybe a reground cam, and custom intake and exhaust.

I had originally planned to run a standard 3-speed trans, but the overdrives have piqued my interest... I'll have to try to learn more about them.

The body: I might try to salvage the cowl if I find a more complete car. I definitely want to run an original radiator shell and some 20's drum headlamps. The rear of the body will be custom built around a wooden frame work, with some steel tubing worked in for safety. I consider some seatbelts a must (people drive crazy around here), so I'm planning on using something that resembles 30's airplane harnesses. I don't like the staggered seating you see on a lot of racers/speedsters... so I'm going to change that.

The wheels: I'm a big fan a wire wheels, but I just "discovered" those cool "disc" steel wheels and wouldn't mind a set of those either. Hoping to run a little larger tire than stock for a little extra grip.

Haven't decided on a color yet, but I know it will be a factory Packard color.

What do you guys think?

Posted on: 2015/3/12 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi ChaseR

Welcome! Sounds like a worthwhile project, use and preserve components from cars that would otherwise be lost, plus create a speedster in the original mode.

The 356 is a great engine but a bit costly to rebuild, check other posting to get a better idea from those that have been there. I'd suggest if you're wanting the larger cubic inches, you consider the 1951-53 nine-main-bearing 327 block for modification. By installing a '54 Patrician 4 1/2 stroke crank and rods would yield 346.4 ci. If you have it overbored to 3 9/16, you arrive at the 359 ci same as a '54 Patrician/Pacific/Convertible/Caribbean engine. Those can also be found though are more scarce, that's why I suggest you might arrive at a larger displacement another way.

The supply of late straight eights is still quite good, parts and rebuild kits reasonably priced which was always a consideration when guys built speedsters years ago. Good Luck and keep us posted of your efforts.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/3/13 7:47
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Chase, another advantage to using a 327 cu. in. 9-main bearing engine over the 356 is you do not have to remove the crankshaft counterweights to refinish the main bearing journals. The '53 327s in the Patricians were rated at 180 b.h.p. This should propel you down the road in speedy fashion. Looking forward to your project updates.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/13 11:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ChaseR
See User information
You guys have me sold on a 9-main 327 vs. a 356,

Its hard enough finding a machine shop in my area that can work on a big block Mopar engine without screwing it up... I cringe at the thought of trusting them with something like an inline 8....

So what is the going rate for a 9-main 327 in good, re-buildable condition? I've been looking at lots of sources trying to get a feel for prices, but they vary wildly... from less than $500 for an engine and trans to $2000 for just an engine (with no history).

Was the R11 overdrive available behind the 327?

Thanks

Posted on: 2015/3/16 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

ChaseR wrote:
You guys have me sold on a 9-main 327 vs. a 356,...

Was the R11 overdrive available behind the 327?

Thanks

Yes.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/21 10:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved