Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

William Grosz, Michaelg-twelve, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Length of head studs above the block
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
When I purchased my '49 Super I observed that the head studs were at various lengths below, at and above the top of the nuts. Measured from the top of the block to the top of the stud they range from 2.15" to 2.5" As luck would have it, the head gasket developed leaks.

The head is now off, it's been evaluated and deemed good for service. It would be nice to make the studs the correct length above the block--even to the top of the nuts when they are torqued with none to short or long.

The height of the gasket, head, washer and nut is 2.295". If I set the top of the studs at 2 5/16, does that sound about right? I haven't found any specification in the Service Manual.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/3/14 22:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Length of head studs above the block
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall ever seeing a spec. Believe the studs were threaded into the block until they bottomed. There were different length studs and also different thread studs were phased into production in the late 47 early 48 period. Packard said the different thread types -- rolled vs cut threads -- were not interchangeable. I wonder if the last time it was apart someone subbed some wrong studs that won't thread properly or possibly the holes into water jacket are rusted and studs can't thread down. If that is the case be careful or you might break a stud. If you do set a firm distance for all, don't forget you have to allow for anything that has to go under a head nut. Not sure what all might be on a 49 head but I believe the coil and ign wire bracket is one thing that has to go under a nut. There may be others.

Posted on: 2015/3/14 23:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
So far I've adjusted 30 of the 38. Have not been able to get two studs to move, so I'll leave them where they are. They are close to the 2 5/16". All the bolt on items--oil filter, ignition coil/plug wires and air cleaner support all bolt to the side of the head.

Posted on: 2015/3/15 22:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

2packards wrote:
So far I've adjusted 30 of the 38. Have not been able to get two studs to move, so I'll leave them where they are. They are close to the 2 5/16". All the bolt on items--oil filter, ignition coil/plug wires and air cleaner support all bolt to the side of the head.

Good to hear it is cooperating but hope moving the studs won't introduce a slight leak on those that go into the water jacket. Interesting (and good) that they changed the mountings to the side on the later engines. On the 21st series the ign wire bracket and horn bracket are under the head stud nuts. A P.I A. to remove those items.

Posted on: 2015/3/15 22:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved