Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

When torsion limit switches don't work, bad things can happen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
It's a good thing to have limits sometimes!

The 56 splines sheared off, and the 55 splines starting to curve.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.58 KB)
1220_5522d0d243a01.jpg 720X720 px

jpg  (31.58 KB)
1220_5522d0edd1999.jpg 720X720 px

jpg  (30.39 KB)
1220_5522d1033d149.jpg 720X720 px

jpg  (34.05 KB)
1220_5522d118cb64f.jpg 720X720 px

Posted on: 2015/4/6 13:33
 Top  Print   

Re: When torsion limit switches don't work, bad things can happen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Now there is a wee bit of Torque.

Posted on: 2015/4/6 13:39
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've got a couple of those doorstops too. Stuck or shorted solenoids, direct powering of motor with an improper install of a manual switch that bypasses limit switches or too short of actuating arm on early 55 switches and the later bent 55 brackets. What is a poor spline to do when the fuse doesn't bother blowing until after the damage is done.

Can't tell if just optical or is one of the center shafts actually bent?

Posted on: 2015/4/6 13:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I've got one of those with twisted splines too. I posted a pic of it a few years back.

I have good gears for Panther, but does anybody know where one gets NOS or replacement 1956 limit switches? I need a set for Panther.

Also, does anyone remember the substitute grease for the gear box? I was going to get moly-di-sulfide based grease from NAPA, but if there's something better, I'll get that.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/6 17:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sta-Lube SL-3303 by CRC is the grease I've used in the TL gearboxes. Rebuilt 56 limit switches are available, perhaps from Max. Knowing supply is tight I bought a set just to have them available should I need them in the future.

Posted on: 2015/4/6 18:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have good gears for Panther, but does anybody know where one gets NOS or replacement 1956 limit switches? I need a set for Panther.

If the usual vendors don't have NOS or rebuilts then IIRC, a year or so ago Mr Pushbutton was thinking of adding their repair to his services. Haven't seen him online much lately so don't know if that ever happened.

The switches themselves seem to hold up or at the worst need a soak in contact cleaner followed by vigorous working of the button -- unless the button is actually broken off. At that point the switch has to be opened and a new button machined out of nylon or Delrin. Opening the switch is not too much a problem but closing it back up is.

I've seen more of the switches that failed because the old wire had hardened and the constant flexing from vibration had broken a wire right where it was soldered or crimped into the terminal. On a couple I've carefully drilled the old broken strands of wire out of the terminal to create a new hole and soldered in a new wire. Except for it sticking straight out an extra 3/4" you could probably use a crimp connector too. Wrapped the threaded end of switch to keep the stuff out of the works and then used a dunk in Plasti-Dip to renew the waterproofing.

Posted on: 2015/4/6 18:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard, you've jogged my memory - my rebuilt switches came from Mr. Pushbutton.

Posted on: 2015/4/6 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto Quote:
Sta-Lube SL-3303 by CRC is the grease I've used in the TL gearboxes. Rebuilt 56 limit switches are available, perhaps from Max. Knowing supply is tight I bought a set just to have them available should I need them in the future.

Thanks (also HH56), I'll check it out. I saw your update, so I'll try Mr Pushbutton.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/4/6 19:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved