Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Advise for removing the manifolds
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
I got a WCFB Carter 4 barrel off a '53 for my '52. I can only access the nuts from the top side. What tools are best used to get in those tight spaces? I believe they are 11/16ths

Posted on: 2015/5/8 19:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Advise for removing the manifolds
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I removed the manifolds as a set from a contour-body 327 a couple of years ago, very simple and direct. You'll find it much easier if you put a jack under the front right (passenger side) A-frame, raise & remove the tire & wheel, and go in thru the inner fender to get at the lower fasteners and the exhaust header. I don't recall needing anything special, perhaps a socket with a universal joint, if you don't have that it's a worthwhile investment. That lacking, perhaps a manifold wrench would facilitate the job. In any case, it's quick & easy, no secrets.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.42 KB)
177_554d7941f174c.jpg 611X548 px

Posted on: 2015/5/8 22:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
Ok thank you. I will try going in the inner fender.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I would suggest when you have the manifolds off to use a straight edge and make sure that they have not warped between the intake and exhaust manifold ports. If so get them resurfaced while you have it off. Chasing a leaking intake or exhaust gasket can be a royal pain in the rear. Best to get it corrected prior to re installation.

James

Posted on: 2015/5/11 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A better view of manifold or restricted access box wrenches; not uncommonly found at flea markets for $1 or $2 each, you may only use them 2 or 3 times in a lifetime but a good addition to a tool box.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.90 KB)
177_5550ced265859.jpg 1280X773 px

Posted on: 2015/5/11 10:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved