Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater fuse location-23rd series 1950 Deluxe 8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
While on a driving tour yesterday my heater motor stopped working on my 1950 Deluxe 8. can someone tell me the location of the fuse for the heater?
You guys are always a great help!
Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2015/5/17 16:21
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater fuse location-23rd series 1950 Deluxe 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Should be in an inline fuse holder in the wire connecting heater switch to ign switch. It is sometimes hard to guess where the physical location might wind up under the dash but probably nearer the blower switch end of wire.

The Packard fuse holders of that era were typically a metal tube although some bakelites are found. If routing took the metal type close to another switch they frequently had a cardboard or rubber sleeve slipped over the metal to prevent the holder from shorting to anything.

Typically the fuses used were SFE type and those holders are length specific to the amp rating of the circuit. Schematics say 30 amp on the heater so fuse would be 1 7/16" long or slightly longer than a typical modern fuse. If your car is original and fuse is that long you may only be able to replace with the SFE 30 to have it fit in the holder properly. Napa should carry them and maybe other parts stores too.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
HH56,
Thank you. I now at least know where to start looking now. That car is original, so it should be in that area. I am sure I have a fuse, as I have a great assortment of them here.
Thanks for the help!
Mike

Posted on: 2015/5/17 17:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
That long metal fuse holder is directly behind the ignition switch, only about 3" from it. I have yet to get it apart, as it is tight quarters up in there. Both hands will not fit up in there at the same time. Any tips to get to it is appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those fuse locations always surprise me but logically, I guess near the ign switch would make more sense. Hope I didn't cause you to waste too much time at the switch end.

My 47 has the same tight space problem due to the hood release handle and emergency brake. There is a chance loosening the hood release and sliding it aside would help. Those hood handle assys are held by a single screw at the firewall and a couple under the dash edge. As things go, not as horrible as some items to loosen and slide out of position a small amount. I think you could gain enough clearance to get another hand in just by releasing the hood to take tension off and then move the fixed bracket portion under dash to the side. Shouldn't have to mess with disconnecting anything under the hood -- but if you do, the rod is held to the lever with a cotter key, washer and spring. If that doesn't do it then the emergency brake assy is all that is left and if yours is like mine, that is not a fun job accessing a couple of bolts while holding the nuts behind the bracket at the top. With any luck yours won't have the nuts behind the bracket.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 11:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved