Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Two Carburetor Questions..
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Howdy,
Today was a beautiful New England day..so, of course, I decided to work on the Clipper.
Actually my wife and I joined countless others yesterday and drove around the Seacoast part of the state of NH and looked at leaves and trees and visited a bunch of thrift stores..
At any rate, I decided to pull the Carter carb and try to find the stamping number that my brother Roger told me to look for. I going to buy a rebuild kit this week and Roger is going to rebuild it..what a guy!
Roger lives 90 minutes away from us so having him helping to identify the number is out of the question..
I've attached a photo of what I think is the number that I need in order to get the rebuild kit. I'm posting the photo in hopes that it is the correct number..Is it?
Also when I was removing the vacuum line from the choke, the line snapped off at the intake manifold.. How much of a PIA is it going to be to replace it..the line was quite rusty so breaking it was inevitable.
As always, I am grateful for any answer..

Attach file:

jpg  (37.35 KB)
794_48f26420954b6.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (40.23 KB)
794_48f264a438b5d.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2008/10/12 15:57
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Re: Two Carburetor Questions..
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Clipperguy--the carb number will be on a triagular brass tag that one of the air horn screws are fastened through, usually at one corner @ the front of the carb Any number on the carb body is just a part number for that body or part, but not the whole unit. The manufacturers make many permutations of each type, in your case a WCFB. There are different jets and many other differences that make each model unique and mated to your engine's needs. The triangular tags get lost a lot, not many cars still have them one-half century later.
The broken tube is the heater tube, it supplies heated air to the choke spring, you will definately wat to replace that.

For carb kits I really like www.then-now.com. Get a fuel pump kit while you are at it.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 16:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't quite see from your picture what happened to the choke stove heat pipe, but the tube that runs to the carburetor chokes is just a slide fit into another tube that is swedged into the intake manifold, so repair may not require removing the intake manifold to replace the choke stove (the tube that's swedged into the manifold). You may be able to just carefully drill out the broken inner tube without damaging the outer sleeve, and then just make a new tube to the choke housing. Even if you had to remove the intake manifold and replace the choke stove, it's easy to do.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Thanks guys for the info on the choke stove..whew..as far as the carb tag is concerned..there isn't one. I'll check out then-now..I hope to find that rebuild kit. I wonder if Napa has any.
The carb was very dirty as you can.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 18:19
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd recommend getting a carburetor kit from Daytona Parts in Florida. The kits for Carter WCFBs are pretty universal and if you ask for Tim, he can help you determine which carburetor you actually have on the car. Daytona is TOPS in this area.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 19:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
If the carb is that dirty I would recommend taking the major dissassembled parts to a carb shop or auto parts store for tank cleaning. The results of your rebuild will depend on getting everything clean as they were when new, especially the idle jets.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 8:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm assuming your car is a 5540 chassis. There were two Carter WCFBs used, one superceeding the other. The numbers were WCFB-2232-S and WCFB 2284-S; you can check with Daytona but I'd be pretty certain the rebuild kits are identical.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
@MrPushbutton: my brother is a real gearhead and says that he'll soak it before re-assembly..thanks for the info!.
@Owen_Dyneto: I received an answer from Daytona and I didn't have to put much info in to get the answer so your advice that they are the same kit is valid..thanks !

Posted on: 2008/10/13 14:19
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The kit I used to rebuild my Carter 2bl was from Daytona and it was a very good quality kit. It also stated in the kit the the gaskets, seals, etc were modern fuel safe.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 14:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved