Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

Jimmyk, jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to Remove Steering Wheel Trim and Wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I am removing the steering gear and according to the shop manual the steering column needs to be removed...however the manual does not say how to remove the horn trim. Does it just pop out with a small screwdriver?

Also, the two turn signal wires come out of the bottom as two different wires that each connect into a different wire harness below the dash. I tried pulling out the individual wires however they do not want to come out. Is there a trick to pulling these wires from the harness?

THANKS

Bill

Posted on: 2015/6/16 13:58
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: How to Remove Steering Wheel Trim and Wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
ok... so I found out that if you push in on the Packard emblem in thr center of the steering wheel and turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise it pops off.

I still need advice on the wires

Posted on: 2015/6/16 14:52
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if you have the system with 3 wires up the column to the turn signal switch. One to the flasher and one wire to the right and left turnsignal bulb looms. If the colors are faded mark the wires and plugs before removing the wires.

The wires go into what are called Wade connectors and it can be a real pain to remove the terminals from the plugs without breaking the old plastic. The single circuit with a wire in - wire out connectors are still available new but I don't believe the ones with 3 or more wires like those used there are available so be careful.

The metal wire tabs have a hole which slide over a sharp edged "button" on the spring contacts. Those are positioned on either side of the tab. The buttons are beveled on the insert side to let the tab come in and slide over but on the inner side the edges are sharp and do not let the hole slide back out. If the connecter has never been apart and buttons are still sharp and springs still have tension the thing can hold very tightly -- which I guess is the purpose to not let the wires fall out.

Best I can suggest is get something thin and slightly narrower than the tab to work up on either side of the wire to push the spring tabs back far enough the button comes out of the hole. You will have to twist and pull gently on the wire at the same time so the button doesn't go right back in the hole. Might have to work one side and then the other back and forth.

Here is a photo of the tab and spring contacts. You can barely see the buttons. Another showing how they fit together to hold the tab inside the plastic housing. Keep in mind in normal use the spring portion is compressed and not at the angle the forceps caused so the buttons are really forced into the hole.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.35 KB)
209_55808c7b13be2.jpg 527X421 px

jpg  (20.36 KB)
209_55808c8c34aa3.jpg 527X364 px

Posted on: 2015/6/16 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
>The wires go into what are called Wade connectors and it can be a real pain to remove the terminals from the plugs without breaking the old plastic. The single circuit with a wire in - wire out connectors are still available new but I don't believe the ones with 3 or more wires like those used there are available so be careful.

THANKS Howard...Yes...I found out the hard way...the plastic connector breaks. I had to pull REALLY HARD to separate the wire with it's spade plug to get it out of the socket.

Anyhoo...to answer my own question on how to remove the steering gear so you (me) can replace the front cover seal that was leaking oil...the steering gear has a long steel shaft that goes up to the steering wheel. You have to unhook three wires for the directional signals (turn signal), remove the horn center Packard emblem (push in and turn 1/4 turn counter clockwise), unscrew and remove horn chrome trim, unbolt and remove steering wheel (using steering wheel puller), remove cotter pin and steel pin that connects the shifter lever, then unbolt and slide off the decorative steering column housing that the gear shifter and turn signal mechanisms are connected to and this will reveal two housings (steel tubes).

One tube contains the steel steering shaft and the other contains the shifter rod and lever mechanism. Disconnect the two threaded links that connect the shifter throw levers to the transmission gear levers and the third lever that connects to the steering gear (installed for reason unknown to me), then unclamp the steering column lower tube from the steering gear, remove the brake and clutch rubber pads, remove the carpet and the rubber grommet that seals the firewall, then pull the two tubes up into the car and carry them to a waiting padded bench...but first make sure the seat and interior are covered so that the greasy steering shaft does not mark the upolstry....then...FINALLY...one can get access to the steering box, unbolt the pitman arm (because the pitman arm will get hung up on the brake steel line if it is not removed, unbolt the steering gear to chassis bolts and pull the steering gear up through the dash (firewall) and into the car...OR... it can be pulled forward a LONG WAY until the steel shaft clears the firewall.

I guess I could have tried to just move the steering gear up over the chassis (without actually removing it) to gain access to the front seal however I wanted to clean and inspect it to be safe anyway.

My engine and trans were out so this was not that significant of a job...if the engine is installed...good luck.

Cheers!!!

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (21.29 KB)
84982_558199640d5db.jpg 252X448 px

Posted on: 2015/6/17 10:59
Bill,

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved