Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

spfan
See User information
Hi Guys,
I own a low mileage 1957 Packard Clipper,and would like to hear peoples input on which is a good motor oil to use.I've heard people talk about Shell Rotella.I'm anxious to hear what peole have to say.

thanks spfan

Posted on: 2015/6/20 10:42
 Top  Print   

Re: oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I run Shell Rotella in all three of my Packards. I've used it for over 23 years in my 400 that I drive a lot.

Posted on: 2015/6/20 11:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

spfan
See User information
thanks Randy for the info,you have one cool car!!!
Bob

Posted on: 2015/6/20 13:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Guerrero
See User information
Quote:

spfan wrote:
Hi Guys,
I own a low mileage 1957 Packard Clipper,and would like to hear peoples input on which is a good motor oil to use.I've heard people talk about Shell Rotella.I'm anxious to hear what peole have to say.

thanks spfan

Hey spfan - Since you mention it, we recommend Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 or 10W-30 motor oil for your Packard. Both viscosities are rated for gasoline engines as well as diesel engines with an API CJ-4/SM rating. They are formulated with a higher amount of anti-wear package (zinc) which is ideal for muscle cars with high compression hot rod engines. This also applies if you're utilizing high profile camshafts with solid and flat tappet lifters. Hope this info helps! - The Shell Rotella Team

Posted on: 2015/7/1 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Chris Guerro Quote:
(snip) we recommend Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 or 10W-30 motor oil for your Packard.(snip)They are formulated with a higher amount of anti-wear package (zinc) which is ideal for muscle cars with high compression hot rod engines. This also applies if you're utilizing high profile camshafts with solid and flat tappet lifters. (snip)

I read on another (High Performance) car board that Shell Rotella was reforulated and the zinc was mostly removed. Maybe that is true of the "standard" Shell Rotella, but not the Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15W-40 or 10W-30 you recommend?

Craig

Posted on: 2015/7/1 12:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have used Shell Rotella in my Packard and other cars going back to the 1960's with no issues whatsoever.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Another vote for Shell Rotella!
Use it in all my cars and truck.
Using it in my 57 Packard, with freshly rebuilt engine.

Posted on: 2015/7/19 8:28
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to data I've seen published, the reduction in ZDDP for Rotella T from the prior CI-4 grade to the current CJ-4 grade was from about 1200 ppm to about 875 ppm. Given that Packards have such very low cam/tappet follower loadings it's really not of any consequence - engines of these types were quite long-lived even before the introduction of ZDDP into motor oils. So in my view it's like most all of the snake oils and cures in a bottle, "might help, can't hurt" situation. What can hurt though and even be destructive of your engine is to add more ZDDP to an oil that already contains it! Beyond some point more is NOT better!

Posted on: 2015/7/19 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I run Rotella in everything that I drive.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 21:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved