Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Valve adjustment and tappet wrenches
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
I will be taking a shot at a valve adjustment on my 1951 with 288ci engine. I have been pricing tappet wrenches and wonder do I need a complete set or just two wrenches of the right size. What is the tappet adjustment size that I need? Any tricks that I should know about the running hot valve adjustment that isn't in the book?

Posted on: 2015/7/12 23:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Valve adjustment and tappet wrenches
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
If remember correctly it takes two 1/2 wrenches to unlock the lifter and a third to adjust it, I would look for two 1/2 by 9/16 and one 7/16 by 1/2. Its lots of fun!! Dell

Posted on: 2015/7/13 18:57

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
For what it's worth, on my '37 237, it was 9/16. I used one tappet wrench and a conventional wrench.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 20:05
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My preferred way to adjust the valves on these engines is to warm them up to operating temp and then adjust a cylinder at at time with the engine off. After each cylinder restart the engine and run it for a couple of minutes to restore the operating temp. Adjusting the valves clearances with the engine running is something only attempted by the most brave and accomplished of us.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/7/13 21:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll let you know how it works out in a couple of weeks

Posted on: 2015/7/14 12:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
What are tappet wrenches?

Posted on: 2015/8/22 17:59
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
I have never seen them in person but they are a long thin wrench that you can fit onto the tappets with the engine running as you sit in the left wheel well. I see them for sale on eBay for $25/40 a set. Very few cars need valve adjustment any more. It is a bit of a lost art. I have never done a side valve motor Should be a challenge.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 18:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved