Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Radiator to Cradle spacers
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The rubber washers/spacers that are used in mounting the Radiator to it's cradle on my car are beyond saving. Just curious why both the radiator mounting flanges and the rubber spacers have such a large diameter bolt hole compared to the actual bolt size used. Was there originally some kind of bushing used? If so mine are long gone. Does anyone have any pictures/sources for the correct rubber spacers and bushings if required?

Posted on: 2008/10/16 12:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator to Cradle spacers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They have a steel sleeve approx 1/16-1/8 less in height than rubber. As I understand it, purpose is 2 fold. 1 is to allow tightening but not to the point that rubber bushing is compressed enough to deform & be totally useless & throw out of alignment whatever it is holding. 2 is to keep things tied together (more or less) if the bushing self destructs.

Steele has the bushings under body mount pads (says same is used on cradle & looks like they can be) but doesn't say if they have the sleeve.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 14:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howards, thanks for the info. Are the ones you are referring to are the cradle to frame body mounts?

I was taking about the small ones that are used to bolt the radiator itself to the core/cradle. They is a rubber spacer between the cradle and the radiator mounting flange, and the another rubber spacer, and the a washer, and then 1/4 x 1 x 20 tpi bolt. So two sets of bolt/spacer/washer combos on each side.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 15:03
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Apologies. Then I think the ones you refer to are detailed in 1951 SC vol 25-7, page 27. I don't know where they might be bought, but looks possibly like a rubber grommet from an electrical supply might fit the bill with some appropriate size tubing for spacer material.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 15:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, thanks for the pointer on the that SC. I belive that same style was used in all of the cars in 51-56.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 15:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Think so. My 56 appears about the same.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 15:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So it looks like my radiator was out of the car at some point in it's past, and those spacers went AWOL.

I guess they decided to go from a solid mounting to a rubber sandwiched mounting to absorb vibration that was causing the stress cracks in the soldered joints as talked about in the SC. My car only had 4 bolts in place. The middle set of bolt wass missing even though there are holes for them. Probably went AWOL at the same time as the spacers.

I check at Lowes yesterday and could not find the correct thickness of rubber washer there, so I will try Home Depot today. I have some black derlin washers that are the perfect size, but I think they are too stiff to act as good vibration dampners.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 15:45
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check also at Orchard in those plastic bins in hardware. They have regular rubber washers and some grommets. The grommets are also usually available in electrical sections of good hardware stores in a package of assorted sizes. Orchard also has metal and also nylon spacers of some types so might get lucky.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 15:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the info. I will have to see if there is an OSH close to me if I dont turn up anything at Home Depot. I know were there is one about 20 miles away. But not near my house.

I remember once someone suggested I should try Tractor Supply company for the fuel filter element I needed. There wasnt one within 200 miles of me. Not many tractors in this part of So.Calif I guess! lol

Posted on: 2008/10/16 16:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd take a look in McMaster-Carr and MSC (Harrisburg) webpages or catalogs, they are a terrific source of all things hardware, though occasionally you'll have to buy 25 or 50 of an item.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 17:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved