Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

brake question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
I have replaced the BTV, installed new lines, bled the brake lines. My question is when I press the "Easamatic" brake it doesn't press so easily. It is very firm and only about 1/4" of play in the brake pedal. Is this normal? I don't have anything to compare to so I'm not sure.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 14:05
 Top  Print   

Re: brake question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the brake shoes are adjusted properly they don't move far so the pedal usually doesn't have to move more than an inch or two before brakes are applied. There is very little free play as compared to manual brakes. The pedal is directly connected to the rod so it only has to move maybe 1/8 inch before vacuum is started to be admitted to do the work. The pedal should move very easily and many complain that it moves so little and so freely that the brakes are applied too severely and it takes a very gentle touch to avoid meeting the windshield.

If the pedal is hard to move I would check vacuum. Pushing the pedal down, do you hear a whoosh or hiss as vacuum is allowed to enter the vacuum apply portion of power unit? If not, make sure there are no leaks and the check valve at the intake manifold is working properly. When the engine has been running, after turning it off there should still be enough vacuum held in the lines and reserve canister for at least two or three brake applications. The vacuum will eventually bleed off but not that fast if the lines and check valve are in good condition.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 14:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
Thank you sir. The brake is very firm. Almost like it is stuck. I will check the vacuum and see if the problem is there. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 14:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not sure I understand your question - do your brakes apply and stop the car? Are you just saying there is very little pedal movement? Or that the pedal isn't spongy (it shouldn't be), or are you saying you have to press very hard to apply the brakes?

I don't agree entirely with HH56 about the amount of pedal movement, my own BTV and most others I've driven the total pedal movement to apply the brakes fully is about 1/2 inch of travel though this of course depends on how well the brakes are adjusted.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 15:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
I guess I assumed the brake pedal would have a more spongy feel like modern brake pedals. It will only depress maybe 1/4-1/2" as it is very firm. I still have some adjustments to go on the brakes but before I went any further I was making sure this was the norm. Thanks again guys.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dave you are right on the pedal distance. Mine has larger front cylinders than stock so that may affect my travel a little but 1/2 to 1" does sound better. As I mentioned, some do complain about the sensitivity and almost the lack of any pedal travel before the car comes to an abrupt stop so they might be comparing it to modern too.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 16:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
thanks again. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Posted on: 2015/8/14 12:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, my wife almost put me thru the windshield the first time she drove our first 56 (1962). This after I warned her that the brakes were very touchy.
Now, why aren't my brakes as touchy on my current 400?
(No asbestos lining??)

Posted on: 2015/8/14 13:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved