Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

53 Cavalier, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion Ride Actuator Solenoid
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Hi, I just wanted to double check to see if this is actually the problem before I bought the part.

I have power to both sides of the actuator solenoid (the t bar piece) but the torsion level is not working. there is no power to the bars that attach to the solenoids. The t-bar is in the center.

If I accidently ground the bar to the solenoid then the torsion ride works.

Is this t-bar piece bad or what else could it be?

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2015/9/12 10:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Torsion Ride Actuator Solenoid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New solenoids can be sourced from Cole Hersee; note they are electrically different from starter solenoid.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 10:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
The solenoids are new from Cole herssee. But I think it is the piece with the t bar attached to it. When I ground the solenoids the whole system works.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 10:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The solenoids take a ground to operate which comes from a relay in the control switch. The voltage to the solenoid coil is provided by the inline 20 amp fuse that also provides voltage to the motor. The solenoids are completely different from a standard starter solenoid.

You should have voltage to both solenoids on one of the large terminals. Here is a schematic of the 55 setup. Note that if the solenoids are mounted incorrectly and the wrong large terminal has the voltage the coil is not getting power and solenoid will not operate.

If you can ground the bar to the small solenoid terminal and the solenoids come in, it sounds as if that part is OK but the control switch is not getting power or it or the limit sw has a problem. Do you have the 12v measured to ground on the light green wire? If the control switch is one of the solid state redos is the polarity correct?

Attach file:

jpg  (62.61 KB)
209_55f4516f5e1e1.jpg 1280X741 px

Posted on: 2015/9/12 11:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
OK sorry for not posting all available info. This was a working torsion system. All of a sudden it stopped. The solenoids are new and work when the metal arm to the limit switch is grounded. There is power to both sides of the limit switch and the car is not level so something is wrong. The fuse is good. In my eyes it is either the limit switch, delay or the control switch. Is there a way to test them?

Should there be power to the limit switch at all times?

Posted on: 2015/9/12 12:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Power is coming from the main fuse to and thru the solenoids so it sounds like all that is OK and at least to the limit switch is good. Power at the limit switch is normal as long as the main 20A fuse is OK. As long as the limit switch is closed (car not at an extreme high or low position) you should also be able to measure that same power at the control switch.

If the loom is stock 55 it will be present on both the pink and yellow wires. If the short loom was spliced in and the car was converted to a 56 switch per the service article the colors will be changed. Pink would now be blue and yellow would now be orange. Light green stayed the same. If the same power measured at the limit switch is present on those two wires at the control switch you should be able to make the solenoids work by touching ground to the pink (blue) or yellow (orange) wires. If power is not present on both wires or it does not move there is a problem in the limit sw or wiring to that point.

The control switch gets its power to operate on the light green wire. It starts at the body feed fuse, goes to and thru brake light switch, then to the under dash switch and then to the control box. You should have power to the control box on the light green wire all the time unless the brakes are applied or the under dash switch is off. If no power check the body feed fuse under the dash, the brake light switch or make sure one of the wires didn't get pulled out of the under dash switch.

If you can make the solenoids work by grounding the pink or yellow wire and you have power to the control switch on the light green wire then something is wrong inside the switch.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Ok. I have no power to the green wire. Where is the fuse located? I can't seem to find it.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 17:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For a 55 the fuse should be in the plastic holder on the drivers side firewall under the dash and is the one labeled body feed.

Do you have brake lights? If not maybe fuse or maybe the brake light switch. If you have the 3 terminal brake switch that is a common problem. If you have brake lights then the fuse is OK and most likely the brake light switch has failed on that third terminal or the light green wire fell or was pulled out of the brake light or under dash switch. Both switches have push in type terminals that can loosen enough the wires can easily come out.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved