Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

It's a "Pickard"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know, I know ....way off topic but I thought a few of your might be interested given the name and novelty. Made between 1909 and 1912 in Brockton Mass; number produced unknown but probably very small. Possibly 2 or 3 survivors including this very intact and presentable one seen at Pollock Restorations during the 2015 PAC National. Wooden frame, shaft drive, sliding gear transmission and an in-line 4 cylinder air-cooled engine with fairly novel side valves.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.41 KB)
177_566856907ebd2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/12/9 11:28
 Top  Print   

Re: It's a "Pickard"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very interesting and I could only imagine how rich lawyers would get today fighting over Pickard and Packard and how to differentiate them since they would be building the same thing for the same market.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 11:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you found it interesting. I probably should have added that Pickard was the family name of one of the founders of the company.

The valve arrangement has similarities to that used later by the Duesenberg brothers in their "walking beam" engines. The cylinder head/combustion chamber appears to be cast en-bloc with the barrel so I assume the valve seats are within the manifolds, pretty neat piece of engineering!

Posted on: 2015/12/9 11:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The cam and rocker arrangement is interesting. Assume the large rod coming out of the cylinder head is the rocker support and pivots at the cotter key but is the white arrow pointing to a pushrod or spring. I thought it must be a spring but it would seem to be an odd location and a very tight spring keeping all the clearance at the valve.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.38 KB)
209_566871c6718f6.jpg 656X632 px

Posted on: 2015/12/9 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The white arrow is pointing to a spring whose purpose seems questionable. If you look closely at the timing gear cover casting you can judge the location of the camshaft; the actuation of the rocker is in or down below the "box" that the lower end of the rocker is seen entering. Dual camshafts like a "T" head, the one for the intakes on one side of the block, that for exhausts on the other. Uncertain of the means by which the rocker follows the camshaft profile.

A really neat little engine, its advertised horsepower was 25.

Posted on: 2015/12/9 14:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved