Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 157

kevinpackard, Ross, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard transmission PNDLR
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
How do you remove the plastic transmission indicator from the dashboard-as previously stated I now have a Bentsens transmission conversion with the 700r transmission. right now I have a piece of paper taped to my dashboard with the PRNDL which is different from the plastic indicator.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 3:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard transmission PNDLR
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I just go by memory and feel (4L60e) thus leaving it alone and original looking. But then, I'm the only person who drives my Packard.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you are so inclined you could cut a piece of acrylic to fit, paint it with some opaque paint and then have your local trophy shop engrave the letters in the proper order and spacing. I've seen it done, looks very "correct".

Posted on: 2015/12/17 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The insert has milled edges and is fitted into a recess in the chrome or painted bezel. It comes out of the bezel from the back and is held in by a thin retainer plate screwed into the bezel. It has been a long time since I played with one but IIRC, the bezel has to come off the dash to get to the two screws holding the retainer. Removing the bezel is in itself a time consuming project because of the steering column and all the vent and heat controls and switches which fit thru openings in the dash metal and are screwed into the bezel. Those all have to be unscrewed so the bezel can come off. It is not that hard physically but a couple of screws are not very accessible so does require some quality time with your head under the dash.

As I said, it has been a long time so perhaps someone has a dash or bezel already out of a car who can confirm for sure if the bezel has to remove. I think the bulb socket fits into a hole in the actual dash metal and not the bezel so with the bezel in position the dash metal would prevent any access to the retainer screws from behind.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 18:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are still considering the project to replace the indicator plastic, here are some reference photos of the rear side of bezel showing all the screw locations.

To remove the bezel from the dash requires removal of the blower switch(es), both vent lever control assys (2 screws each recessed deep down inside the lever supports) and then two more screws on either side of the steering column. I can't remember but after removing the plate holding the rubber cover over the bottom of column, you may also have to remove the clamp holding the column to the dash brace to access those two screws on either side of column.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.82 KB)
209_567b6f4cd0c89.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/12/23 23:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved