Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Three Reasons Why You Should Buy At Packard Brooklyn
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Ran across this classified from '36 with a used '32 901 for sale at $545.

'32 901 new price - $2350, depending on options.

About a 75% drop in four years.

Due in part to the depression?

Excess capacity, limited buyers?

Used cars not seen as desirable / marketable?

Attach file:

pdf Size: 140.89 KB; Hits: 41

Posted on: 2016/1/3 13:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Three Reasons Why You Should Buy At Packard Brooklyn
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I think you forgot another reason:
the leaps and bounds the cars progressed from year to year in the 30's. A 4 year old car was way behind on the newest technology available.

Posted on: 2016/1/3 15:04
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

As BDC points out, used cars were up against the technological progress being made then but for much of the public simply the rapid styling changes were rendering older cars less saleable year after year.

Note now many now highly-desirable and rare Classics were going begging at cheap prices. Recently discontinued models and defunct makes hit the value skids quickly. The REO Royale and Franklin V-12 as well as large Studebaker President were all cars very difficult to resell. Small wonder so few are still extant.

Even the '33 Super Eight 1004 Sport Phaeton for $895 shows how a $3,150 new open style lost major value in short three years. (Wonder if that one is still available......)

Steve

Posted on: 2016/1/3 15:57
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Used luxury cars were the hardest to sell during the depths of the depression. Those well-heeled and looking for a luxury car were most likely to buy new. And the cost of maintenance and gasoline would make the used luxury cars very unattractive to those whose financial resources.

Posted on: 2016/1/4 11:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved