Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: correct ends for 33 spark plug wires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At least as of 2 years ago the steel-gray covered wire was also available from Restoration Supply, that's where I got mine.

How important is the cup shape? Do judges actually take the wire off to check?

Howard, the cup is clearly visible at the end of the finished wire, note on the print that the wire terminates inside the cup as PackardBarry noted. So no disassembly needed to see it, it's clearly visible. Not that judges can disassemble anything. On the rare occasion that I had my 34 judged, the CCCA judges did not deduct for my wires or plugs, but then again on any day at any time and place...... Such are the vagaries of judging.

Posted on: 2016/1/20 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Have been thinking about trying these on the next project

http://www.grandbrass.com/ShowItem.cfm?ItemNumber=CRA0-1/2X8&session.currentcategory=Check%20Rings&session.currentsubcategory=Plated%20Stamped%20Check%20Rings

Think there larger than orig stuff but
BEGGARS CANT BE CHOOSERS

Posted on: 2016/1/21 9:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
When u make up a set make them to the lengths called out in the PARTS BOOK. Im sure when ur done u will think there to long. I looked at a set for a yr or more thinking they were and it was another PARTS BOOK screwup until one day a light went on over my head. Figure they made them to the speced out length so u can pull the Dist Cap and move it off to the side and thus work on the points etc.
WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT

Posted on: 2016/1/21 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
At least as of 2 years ago the steel-gray covered wire was also available from Restoration Supply, that's where I got mine.

This stuff is no CIGAR but again
BEGGARS CANT BE CHOOSERS

Posted on: 2016/1/21 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
When I started this post I mentioned Restoration Supply Co., They have some wire ends on page 3-item RAJ012 and item ELE370 that might be used together to make a wire end in the picture that O_D posted. They also appear to have a plug wire on page 4 that they say will replace the Packard 7mm wire. I think it might me time to order some samples and see if I can make an end that looks correct. Thanks for all the help, especially the pictures. Dellhttp://www.restorationstuff.com/pdf/RestorationSupplyCompany.pdf

Posted on: 2016/1/21 21:23

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Except for very close inspection something like the RAJ012 would be nearly indistinguishable from the OEM.

Posted on: 2016/1/21 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
FOUND THE REPRO EYELETS

R.J. & L.
http://www.rjlautofasteners.com/index.html

http://www.rjlautofasteners.com/2014catalog.pdf
# SP118

Owner is Roman Cole
son of
John Cole who was Cole's Ignition

Posted on: 2016/1/23 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for following up! I bought from Cole many years back and used to see their advertisements regularly but haven't now in some years and sort of thought they were no longer active - good to hear otherwise.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Dont know if its been said but believe Bruce Blevins is doing the Thumb Nuts

BTW orig SP was AC7 - not that it will do u anygood.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've settled on the Autolites, 303 or 308, for every Packard that used 14mm plugs, for 3 reasons: (1) cars run great with them, (2) period-correct black oxide shells, and (3) availability with threaded nipple which permits the use of the knurled thumb nuts where required. I can remember rather vividly a 55 or 56 Caribbean on the judging field some years back where the owner drove it onto the field with his cadmium-plated Champions and changed before judging to a set with black oxide, then changing back before he drove home. Struck me as extreme folly, wonder why he didn't just use black-oxided plugs from the get-go. No fun changing on a hot engine either!

If you get a wire end cap from Cole that looks correct, how about a photo and their product #?

Posted on: 2016/1/23 11:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved