Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 193

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiper Cam
Just popping in
Just popping in

BillClark
See User information
I'm a Studebaker guy admiring a Caribbean in a private collection and noticed the cam and follower on the wipers. I've read that these have vacuum wipers with multiple speeds and two different wipe arcs. As close as I can tell, the cam follower is part of making sure the wiper pressure stays the same throughout the wipe, but its really a mystery to me. Can someone tell me why the wiper has a cam and follower.
Thanks
Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (59.15 KB)
114216_56a4ecece4d63.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2016/1/24 10:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiper Cam
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard dubbed it Cam-O-Matic and the purpose was to guide the wiper blade around the curve of the wrap around windshield. I guess you could say it keeps the pressure the same thruout the arc.

The wipers are vacuum operated. Overall speed in normal operation is controlled by how much vacuum is admitted to the motor. There is an auxiliary control which admits vacuum to a separate piston mechanism inside the motor. When that is active it changes the relationship of the reversing valve in the motor so the wipers change the length of stroke by cutting a few inches off each side. Because of the shorter stroke being selected the same amount of vacuum makes the wipers move to the reverse position more quickly and results in the high speed operation. It is noticeably faster and the figure is published. I don't remember the difference at the moment.

Here is an official Packard sales writeup. Since the wiper mechanisms are Trico items it is possible other cars of the era with wrap around windshields had a similar setup.

EDIT. Added a service description of the cam

Attach file:

jpg  (49.13 KB)
209_56a4f2ad23bfd.jpg 650X862 px

jpg  (48.23 KB)
209_56a4f90781089.jpg 898X386 px

Posted on: 2016/1/24 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

BillClark
See User information
Thanks. I had seen the Cam-O-Matic ad, but it was not clear until now. I've looked at a lot of cars and never seen that setup. I always assumed that the springs in the wiper arms could keep wipers flat to the glass, even on mid 50s wrap around windshields. I can see clearly now.
Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2016/1/24 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Just as an addition. Though it seems all jr's n sr had the cam-0-matic standard to help the blades make the turn, not all cars were equipped with the upgraded " short sweep" fast operation and this optional feature offered on Packards and Clippers may have been avail on other makes AND the piston on the cover and extra vacuum lines seem to also be accompanied by a physically larger case and paddle with a "park valve not seen on other vehicles of the era. It is certainly nice to come accross a car with this and washer with coordinator and power windows and power seat and wonder bar and rear sepaker and dual heat and torsion and ..... Seeing these and going thru each system can be eye opening and satisfying esp when contrasted by judjging at a show by someone who has never heard of these features and options who will be handing out plaques at the shows end.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 14:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious if anyone has ever seen the apparently late addition completely vacuum operated windshield washer/coordinator installed on a production car. Ficken offered this switch on ebay a year or so ago. There was an accompanying partial shot of a Trico instruction sheet which said it was Packard and Clipper, late production.

You will note there is no electrical connection at the end for the electrically activated washer unit we are used to. The rest of the switch is the same but the electrical stem was replaced by a section with a third vacuum port on the side for the washer.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.71 KB)
209_56a538457d293.jpg 1280X852 px

Posted on: 2016/1/24 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved