Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Charles, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1946 Transmission Fork Problem
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
A local shop replaced my 2nd-3rd shifting fork with a good used fork 300 miles ago. In that short time one of the fork's brass blocks has worn down almost 1/8 inch. It looks like it has been pushed very hard toward 3rd gear (photo attached). We did some measurements and it does not look like the fork is bent. Any ideas why just one side would get so much wear so quickly?

Attach file:

jpg  (74.33 KB)
947_56bcb809b350a.jpg 800X732 px

Posted on: 2016/2/11 11:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1946 Transmission Fork Problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd wonder if the detent block in the trans was bolted in straight or was cocked so pressure is against the pad all the time. Wear and bolt problems with the detent block mounting was an issue with some of the trans.

Another thing could be the 2-3 rods may be misadjusted or bent and continuing to put pressure on the lever and fork when it is detented.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 12:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeremy
See User information
Thanks Howard. By detent block do you mean the shift cover? If so, did the original bolts have "shoulders" to make sure the cover fits in the exact right place?

Posted on: 2016/2/11 18:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, block is on the cover as shown in this photo from trans training manual. Second photo is one of the first articles published in 1943 on the loose bolt problem. Same trans was used post war and IIRC there was another article or two in the 46-50 years reminding mechanics to check the block if there were certain trans or shifting problems.

Just looking at the wear on the block and the fork arrangement any chance the entire fork is twisted from the top and not just bent on one side. I don't believe there is much slop possible in the cover but is there enough it could be sitting on the trans slightly crooked.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.05 KB)
209_56bd2c3adb2e4.jpg 1032X814 px

jpg  (156.13 KB)
209_56bd2c493ec5a.jpg 944X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/11 19:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This probably isn't relevant, but just a few weeks ago in bumper-to-bumper traffic, having to shift into first over and over again (I generally go into 2nd to slow things down and then into first), I suddenly had no 1st gear. I managed to get to a tire place (Les Schwab) and they were nice enough to put it on the rack and take a look.

The pinch bolt holding the fork to the transmission had come loose. I suspect it had been loose for awhile and in the wrong position, even though I could shift okay. So possibly that should be checked to be sure it's seated properly and tight. It's easiest to tighten from above opening the access plate in the floorboard.

Posted on: 2016/2/12 18:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved