Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Eugene Wescott, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 115-c pistions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
four of my pistons on my six are slightly facing slightly to between 11:00 o clock and 12:00has anybody here ever seen anything like this before. this engine was rebuilt before I purchased last year and was sitting for quite some time. the pistons are all marked std and no ridge in the walls. Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (71.15 KB)
87975_56c247444d13e.jpg 720X720 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 16:46
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 115-c pistions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're just referring to where the size or piston number is stamped on the piston as compared to the centerline of the block, those markings are not a reference indexing mark. On some pistons you'll also see an arrow to indicate which way the piston installs (which side the expansion slot faces) but these likewise are not precise markings.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 18:35
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Owen, thank you for the reply, this was puzzling me. I have a friend that works and owners old cars , dodge brothers and Nash. He said also that if the rist pins were bad it would be rapping. I have a rough running engine at off idle speeds, my next check will be the hominic balancer. New motor mounts, clutch Assembly, went through distribator twice, adjusted valves, oil pressure 35, compression all good, timing good, I don't know what ealse it could be. Thank you Dave

Posted on: 2016/2/15 20:03
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try a new KNOWN TO BE GOOD condenser. Make sure that no plug wires of CONSECUTIVEE firing cyclinders are touching each other at any point (unless they run thru a metal tube).

Check the wire INSIDE of distributor that runs from points to side wall of distributor for any broken insulation or broken wire inside of insulation..

The "ruff runningg just off iddle" sounds like a bad condensorr or even bad coil.

What is the NUMBER on the spark plugs??? Too cold of a sparrk plug will cause ruff running on throttle tip-in.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 20:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Simpler stuff than tearing the head off, but your troubleshooting doesn't mention the fuel system. Did you ensure the carb was in good condition? What about the fuel tank and fuel lines? Sometimes people rebuild an engine but don't put the same amount of care into the fuel delivery system.

I learned this lesson the hard way. I had a Willys Wagon that someone had swapped a Chevy 265 V8 into. Put a new carb on it, and it would idle perfectly but wouldn't make any power or run smoothly off-idle. The fuel line was clogged - I fixed that and it ran great!

Good luck, and please let us know what the culprit is.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 22:12
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Ok the distributor bushing are tight new points and condenser and new inner hot wire. New coil and wires also. Plugs are all burning clean, Reconditioned gas tank, new sending unit, new fuel lines with glass bowl filter, fuel pump and clean rebuilt carberator. No vacuum leaks and vacuum advance is good. Has plenty of power and runs and starts good ! I also wanted to replace the head gasket to make sure all was well. Putting in new studs to make sure all is good thair, I know I don't have to but that's me. Nice guality studs fram kanter. I will get there. Thanks guys, Dave

Posted on: 2016/2/16 16:58
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved