Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
62 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Gearbox 700R4 in Clipper 5647
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
JW, good move. As you probably know, but maybe others don't (the reason for my mentioning it), the bolt pattern on the Packard manual bell housing is the same between the T-85 (3-speed), T-10 4-speed and Ford Top Loader 4-speed. I believe the Top Loader also has a version with an OD 4th where 3rd is 1:1 instead.

On my Panther, I have a 1963 T-10 but the rear gear ratio is 3.07:1, so no real need for an OD for it to be a "freeway cruiser."

Craig

Posted on: 2016/3/15 18:08
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U mite want to consider the 200R4 instead of the 700R4. I've never done such a conversion but IIRC it was Jack Vines that recommended the 200 instead of the 700 due to space constraints.

Personaly, as long as the Twin Ultra is operatiing just fine i would not do any conversion until a later date. You indicated your trans "needs service" now. Not sure what that means. If it only needs a oil change and a filter and band adjustement then any mechanic familiar with automatic trans ought to be able to do those SIMPLE procedures.
It's in the Service Manuaal and there is nothing mysterious nor special to packars about it .

My 56 Executive now with 60K+ miles is still running the original T-Ultra. Baand adjustments about 8 years ago. IT DOES LEAK OIL ALOT!! I'm curreently replacing some seals that do NOT require trans removal.

As for the brakes. the BTV has been PAINFULY controversial for from about 1998 up thrru about 2010. Do s search on BTV or "Bendix Treadle Vac". Better have about full week of full time reading.

Many of us have converted to a modern power unit and master cylinder.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 19:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Power unit conversion: This is just one of probably 50 such threads from the 1998 to 2010 time frame:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2874&forum=3&post_id=29815#forumpost29815

Posted on: 2016/3/15 19:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
PackardV8. I've now been in contact with Jack Vine about the 2004r instead of 700r4. He tells me this: "The 4R-200 has better gear ratios for a big, high torque engine. It's also a slightly smaller package. Since you're in Spain, whichever you can get there most cost-effectively will work fine."
I probably order a 2004r from USA as it was cheaper than repairing one I had here in Spain a couple of years ago.

The brakes.... yes that has to be solved... need a week holiday to read all about it here :)

/Jan

Posted on: 2016/3/17 13:56
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not world traveled, so i just don't know. But i would think GM, especialy chevy parts would be plentyful and cheap anywhere in the world. No??

Posted on: 2016/3/17 19:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jan Alvemark
See User information
Anywhere but here :(
Was in contact with a company specialized in automatic gearboxes here but they had no 2004r nor 700r4 in stock. So I guess I have to fly one in from the States.
/Jan

Posted on: 2016/3/18 4:19
1949 Packard 2265-9 Deluxe Eight Club Sedan
1956 Packard 5647 Clipper Super Hardtop Coupe
1953 Packard 2679 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What the availability of older GM parts in Spain???
Such as the Chevy Powerglide (aluminum 1958 thru about 1970).

Should be the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 700R4 or 200R4.

The Powerglide will not have overdrive and is NOT a hi-perf trans but they are usualy cheap, easy to overhaul and very light weight.

I don't know but if i couldn't get a 700 or 200 then some research on the powerglide might be worthwhile if they are plentiful in your area.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 7:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let me put it another way:
What do all of the Hot-Rodders in spain use for engines and transmissions when they build their hot-rod type cars?????

Over here in the US even the die-hard Ford and MoPar people use small block chevies in their fords and Mo-pars and even in Jaguars. Along with the GM (usualy Chevy) transmissions, electrics etc.

Many a Jag V12 owner has scrapped the Jag V12 and replaced it with a small block chevy and trans.

I thought it was that way all over the world.

So what kind of engines and trans do t hey use in Spain for hot rods and engine transplant projects????

Posted on: 2016/3/18 8:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
From my experience, the cars that GM/Ford have traditionally marketed in Europe are not just copies of the cars over here. They are usually smaller FWD vehicles cars with 4 cylinder models, as opposed the v8 models we know over here. Usually completely different model names and configurations. So yes, those transmissions would be scarce over there since there isn't as much of a base of used/older cars from them to come out of.

Smaller roads, tighter parking spaces, and higher fuel costs probably contribute to smaller vehicles in Europe.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 8:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
If you would be satisfied with a three speed transmission consider a Turbo 350 0r 400 either of which is easy to find and cheap. If a transmission shop can't fix either of these I would not consider them for transmission work. They are easy to find and parts available lots of info for rebuilding on the net if you are do it your self kind of guy. With these and 3.07 rear axle should have nice gearing and second gear for holdback going down hills. 350 has a little lower gearing in low gear and second. Both transmissions were used with 350 cubic inch engines from factory so durability should be no problem

Posted on: 2016/3/18 9:19
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved