Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 178

Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Postwar tonneau windscreens
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe, even though it's seldom seen, that its commonly known that Packard still offered a rear seat tonneau windscreen as late as the 22nd/23rd series. Today I was looking at a '47 Chrysler T&C in for a valve job; the front seat cushions were removed to service the rear passenger windscreen (an option, I assume) and I found it quite interesting in it's simplicity. Crank handle is on the backside of the front seat. Pretty elegant I thought, and far more convenient to get in and out of the rear seat.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.87 KB)
177_56fec84f30718.jpg 900X600 px

jpg  (69.16 KB)
177_56fec97458c5b.jpg 1280X937 px

jpg  (93.33 KB)
177_56fec985eb684.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/4/1 14:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Postwar tonneau windscreens
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And not only harder for a passenger to get in and out but IIRC, an article mentioned the windscreen part lifted off and was heavy and had to be stowed somewhere when not needed in top up weather.

Much as we love our Packards, the Chrysler solution is another testament to how Packard was really becoming less than a luxury brand and forgetting about the wow factor or even basic comfort features Mr Gotbucks was used to.

I still marvel at the differences in AC in 54 when both Cad and Packard used the same unit. Cad gussied it up, Packard was bare bones. The Cads heated air for the back seat delivery running thru the inside of doors and out a vent for rear seat passenger comfort is another feature that surely didn't cost much to implement.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved