Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

37Blanche, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

35 eight rear end
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I got 2 35 rearends, both 4.69 but one of has another number stamped above it. Is that the part number? If so why does the other one not have it? Or is the number something totally different?

Attach file:

jpg  (72.05 KB)
5061_5707e26401f60.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (160.03 KB)
5061_5707e2728c855.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2016/4/8 11:55
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: 35 eight rear end
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't make out your photos very well but all the Senior cars of that vintage and earlier have a unique serial number on the differential, just as they have on the motor, frame, steering gear, and transmission. The rear axle serial# is typically on the left (driver's) side facing forward.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Above the 4.69 it says: 386953 (I'm pretty sure that's what it says).

Posted on: 2016/4/8 12:53

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
And it's in the same general number range as the motor number, steering gear number, frame #, axle #, right?

Here's Packard's specification on number locations for 1934, I don't have the print for 1935 but expect it will be similar if not the same.

Incidently, this blueprint carries a "Misc" prefix, these cover some interesting subjects. I do have an index to many of the Misc prints for 1923-36; here's a sampling of what some of them cover.

- Instrument board plate and assembly
- Clutch and transmission construction
- Rear axle and wheel construction
- Lubrication charts
- Wiring diagrams
- Twelve, motor construction
- Twelve, valve silencer. camshaft and oil pressure construction
- Steering gear construction
- Experimental exhaust system
- Body construction (by individual body style). For example MISC-4-7266 covers 818, 838 and 858 coupes.
- Radio installation

If you have a particular interest I could give you the print numbers and you could see if the PPG has the prints available for sale.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 238.73 KB; Hits: 45

Posted on: 2016/4/8 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I would be interested in the 818 info.

OK this is kinda strange:
1 of my 35's has the numbers in the specified places:
Engine 388461
Front axle 386620
Rear axle 386953
Steering box 386698
Looking how close the axles & steeringbox are I suspect that this car had an engine transplant at 1 point in its life.

The other 35 has no extra number on rear axle, front axle or steering box, but the axles and steeringbox looks identical to the other car.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 15:02

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Begs the question when did Packard cease giving these assemblies unique serial numbers? Does you '38 Super have such numbers? I have no record of a print for 1935 or later similar to that shown for 1934 with the location of the numbers - doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 15:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved