Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

TxGoat, Hunter Hunt, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 120 Horn Button Wire Feed thru steering column
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hollidayjd
See User information
Can anyone tell me how the horn button wire (from the contact) feeds through the steering column and where it exits in the engine bay? Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/4/18 6:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 120 Horn Button Wire Feed thru steering column
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I suspect it will be the same route they used with the 35 120 as shown in this illustration from the 120 introductory manual. That method appears to be similar to all models thru 54. There is an insulated contact plate sitting on the top of the steering shaft with a wire running straight down the tube, thru the box and out the end. A length of wire approx 6 inches long sticks out . There should be a bullet connector on the end to join another wire in the loom which goes on to the horn relay.

Note that the contact plate and wire does have to come off or out to remove the steering wheel. Some unsolder or cut the wire at the plate and push the wire down the tube a bit with a reconnect when the wheel is replaced. Others pull the entire wire out. I prefer pulling the wire but use whichever method works for you.

Be advised if you pull the wire completely out there is a narrow constriction at the bottom the wire has to feed thru. That makes it difficult to get the wire down and thru if you try to replace from the top. If you feed a length of stiff wire up the shaft starting from the bottom and then attach the horn wire and pull it back down it usually goes fairly easily. Lay the wires end to end and use tape to join them. Keep the attachment to the horn wire very smooth and compact and don't use a lot of force when pulling the wire or the tape can separate. The narrow tube wire passes thru at the bottom is not much larger in diameter than the bullet connector.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.40 KB)
209_5714f0473f95e.jpg 940X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/4/18 9:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 120 Horn Button Wire Feed thru steering column
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hollidayjd
See User information
Thank you very much !!! As I have stated in previous posts, I am completing an 18 year restoration of the car. When I bought it, it was in a million pieces, so I have figured out most stuff...... but the horn wire fooled me. Looking at the top of the steering shaft (not the tube), I see a hole, so I assume that goes all the way thru the steering shaft and out the end at the bottom of the gearbox? Regards, Daryl

Posted on: 2016/4/18 10:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved