Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23rd series Deluxe super 8 wheel covers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rod Hobbs
See User information
What is the best way to determine the correct wheel cover for this car since there are many?

Posted on: 2016/4/19 15:46
 Top  Print 

Re: 23rd series Deluxe super 8 wheel covers
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Try the following process:
1. Start with the parts book in Group 19 and determine from your car's model number whether a 19.041 trim ring is used.
2. Review photos from the Model Information section for the 23rd series and your cars model number.
3. Review photos from the Photo Archive section for the 23rd series ( during the first pass I would stick with factory photos only ).
4. Finally review the photos in both the Photo Archive and Owner Registry.
If the wheel is broken down into two distinct parts, namely the (1) hub and (2) rim, then the various cover covers maybe categorized as:
SMALL - Only center section of the hub is covered
LARGE - The entire hub is essentially covered
TRIM RING - Covers the outer most area of the rim
I believe the higher the trim level of the car, the less the wheel was visible. 'Full Wheel Covers' were not used in the 23rd series. Wheels appear to be body color, but I'll assume the dealer would accommodate 'special requests'. Wire wheels were a few years in the future, again I'll assume a dealer would accommodate an 'upgrade' request from a customer.
dp

Posted on: 2016/4/20 18:32
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rod Hobbs
See User information
Thanks. This is a lot to understand and hopefully I will get to the bottom of this with your direction.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 15:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
There is also a Packard Hub Cap & Wheel Cover Identification Guide on the website.

One way, but not likely the only way, to access this information is to select:
Packard Literature and Manuals / Year by Year / 1948 / Number 29 in the listing.

Good Luck dp

Posted on: 2016/4/23 11:35
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Rod Hobbs
See User information
Yes, thanks. That was some help. It appears that there are 5 wheel covers for 23rd series and it is body specific. I think I will need to specify body number when I go to the vendors.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 12:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And not to throw too much more at you but there is one style hubcap which appears the same on the outside but has different dimensions on the inside. Here is the description of the difference in an article on 21st series hubcapshttp://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO10.pdf The same information is pertinent to some 22-23 series hubcaps. Not sure how the vendors might catalog this difference so it may be something you have to check out.

Posted on: 2016/4/23 12:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved