Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Mounting Factory A/C Compressor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm here at my Oregon shop for one more day and am finally looking under the hood of my 1956 Clipper Custom sedan trying to decide where the compressor attaches. Apparently the oil filter must be relocated so I'll need whatever it takes to do that but on the compressor itself, how does it attach? I see that one end surrounds the coolant water outlet but then what? I can see nothing to match the other end of the bracket so am I missing a support? I have only what is attached to the compressor.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 16:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Mounting Factory A/C Compressor
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Post a pic of the bracket.

The OEM bracket mounts to the holes that hold the oil filter to the head.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 17:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on your compressor. There were several mounting methods and compressors used so how and where it mounted depended on whether it was true factory AC or aftermarket. Aftermarkets varied by brand.

When the 55 factory AC was introduced they used the Lehigh compressor and made a cast bracket which actually formed the crankcase bottom of the compressor. Compressor and bracket was a one piece unit designed to mount in the place of the oil filter. Once side of bracket used the original filter holes on head and other side used the thermostat and water outlet holes. Filter was relocated and bolted onto the AC bracket.

ARA units used the Lehigh compressor and factory location but the mount was different. The compressor was a single unit which bolted onto a steel plate bracket. The bracket mounted using the thermostat holes, a filter hole and a bolt on the water pump manifold. Filter was relocated similar to the factory install but had its own bracket which bolted to water manifold. The filter was turned 90 degrees to the factory install.

Mark IV units used a different compressor and bracket. Theirs mounted on the right side of engine using manifold bolts and thermostat bolts, Filter stayed in the original location.

Other mfgs used variations on those two methods. Compressors varied too but Lehigh seems to have been a popular one. It was a real hodgepod of installs.

There is a question on whether Packard went to the stand alone Lehigh and ARA type bracket in the final days. There are several who have factory units with the ARA style mount.

Photo one is the factory bracket minus the compressor. You can look in the service manual AC section and see the complete assy.
Photo two and three is the ARA bracket and oil filter mount.
Photo four is the Mark IV setup.
Photo five is a top view of the ARA bracket and probably similar to what you will need to fabricate or find if you want to use the factory location.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.45 KB)
209_572fc37a64193.jpg 1280X890 px

jpg  (21.90 KB)
209_572fc3c667b7b.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (28.36 KB)
209_572fc3d789c12.jpg 360X480 px

jpg  (42.48 KB)
209_572fc4121a549.jpg 431X496 px

jpg  (27.80 KB)
209_572fc582babf3.jpg 433X308 px

Posted on: 2016/5/8 17:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's a factory compressor, not aftermarket, and by the appearance of the bracket, it mounts on the driver side. I've not actually tried it in place but it appears that some of holes line up with thin air (pardon the pun).

Attach file:

jpg  (256.08 KB)
60923_572fcaef14ff0.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (282.35 KB)
60923_572fcbae114dd.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (188.52 KB)
60923_572fcbcb71b7a.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/5/8 18:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It should mount. When the filter comes off the two holes holding the filter should line up with the two holes under the compressor. One hole is visible and one is not shown in your photo. It can be a PIA to get a wrench on them so you might need some special sockets or wrenches. The holes are not oversized and bracket fits precisely. Height of water outlet is important. There should also be an idler pulley and bracket with that assy.

Is the compressor good? Valves and associated gaskets for a rebuild are NLA -- or at least I haven't been able to find any. I have two Lehigh compressors both needing valves and gaskets. How about your other NLA components? Modulator valve complete and functional?

Posted on: 2016/5/8 18:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
When the 55 factory AC was introduced they used the Lehigh compressor and made a cast bracket which actually formed the crankcase bottom of the compressor. Compressor and bracket was a one piece unit designed to mount in the place of the oil filter. Once side of bracket used the original filter holes on head and other side used the thermostat and water outlet holes. Filter was relocated and bolted onto the AC bracket.

I'll have to take another look tomorrow as I realized that my photos don't show the end of the bracket with the set of holes that prompted the question. There is a large section sticking out toward the fender that is at a slight angle to the water outlet attachment that I was questioning so perhaps it's a different bracket, even though it attaches to the compressor in the same manner.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Is the compressor good? Valves and associated gaskets for a rebuild are NLA -- or at least I haven't been able to find any. I have two Lehigh compressors both needing valves and gaskets. How about your other NLA components? Modulator valve complete and functional?

That is an unknown so far as just keeping it original is the main thing. Once the rest is in place, then I'll do a restoration on the whole car.

Yes, I have the idler somewhere, and the lower pulley.

Posted on: 2016/5/8 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Looking at it again today and armed with the information supplied above, I see what you mean! I'm missing the longer screws so will have to find some.

Where does the relocated oil filter attach and what are the threaded holes for on the passenger side of the bracket, which are in raised bosses? Are they for the filter and does anyone have a pair of the steel lines for it in the new location, along with the bracket attaching screws?

Posted on: 2016/5/9 13:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Don Pierson wrote:
Looking at it again today and armed with the information supplied above, I see what you mean! I'm missing the longer screws so will have to find some.

Where does the relocated oil filter attach and what are the threaded holes for on the passenger side of the bracket, which are in raised bosses? Are they for the filter and does anyone have a pair of the steel lines for it in the new location, along with the bracket attaching screws?

Filter moves to the bosses and threaded holes on the bracket and uses the same screws as filter used on head. Longer bolts are needed for the bracket to the head. I doubt you will find the Packard made oil lines unless you find another AC parts car. You will probably have to go to NAPA or the like and buy some lengths of 1/4 steel brake line and make your own. Could also use the easy to bend Cunifer tubing although it will look like copper rather than steel.

Here are a couple of photos I took when adapting a Sanden compressor in place of the Lehigh.

EDIT: There is a factory manual on how to install a factory AC unit that Packard put out for dealers. You can download it and will probably answer way more than you wanted to know on how things fit together.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/55-56ACInstall.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (144.90 KB)
209_5730d721e4b0d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (153.95 KB)
209_5730d72ce5354.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/5/9 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Howard! That looks great and likely what I would end up doing should this compressor not be rebuildable. Using the original bracket and holes is a perfect solution! Did you happen to make a blueprint ar dimensioned drawing for the adapter?

I'll have to keep an eye open for factory tubes as I'm not keen on making my own, and to find the longer bolts that are stock. I don't really mind replacing them later with hardware store bolts but only after I see what the originals looked like.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 13:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved