Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt AC.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Okay, let us beat a dead horse some more here....

Anyway there was an article on Hemming's website talking about the A6 ac compressor. It stated that the clutch coil was available in 6, 12 and 24 volt versions.
Anyone seen a 6 volt version? I can find 12 and 24 volt coils online.

John

Posted on: 2016/5/16 17:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt AC.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've never seen a 6v clutch for the A6 and surprised they had them. I thought the A6s didn't arrive until after 12v cars were the norm and didn't realize it was produced early enough to be used on anything OEM that still had 6v. York compressors were used on the 6v VWs built thru the late 60s and for awhile you could find a VW clutch. Those seem to have gone extinct too even from VW places.

That Hemmings article I think is a bit misleading. The compressor used on the Cad they mention was huge compared to the A6 used thru the 60s and 70s. I am not sure what the model was but Packard used the same compressor in 53-4. Packards version was without a clutch. I have a 54 Cad version with 12v clutch in the garage. It is not the round coil assy inside the pulley configuration but rather has an external solenoid coil which pulls a lever arrangement to bring in the clutch assy.

Posted on: 2016/5/16 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt AC.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah you are right there, the A6 was made way after any 6 volt systems were used on cars. maybe some sort of industrial equipment??? Who knows.
I've never seen the coil on an A6, but I assume it is encapsulated? So rewind would be out of the question then.

John

Posted on: 2016/5/16 20:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved