Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
273 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 272

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlights!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
I just bought a replacement NOS headlamp switch. Not sure what happened but my parking lamps turn on first push, and only headlights the 2nd not both at the same time. . Also, my Inst-Lite button toggles my high beams as well?????

Posted on: 2016/6/10 18:34
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlights!!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The tail and parking should be on the first push or notch and tail and headlights on the second push or notch. Packard postwar models turned the parking lights off when headlights were on.

If the wiring is stock, the instrument light switch is fed from the tail light terminal of headlight switch so gets power any time the lights are on. It should only feed the 8 instrument illumination bulbs. The only way I can see it getting crossed with the actual hi beam filament of headlights is if somehow the hi beam indicator light was tied in with the instrument lights.

The indicator light and ordinary instrument illumination bulbs are right next to one another in the cluster and the wire that feeds the hi beam indicator light comes directly from the dimmer switch and is connected to the headlight hi beam filament feed wire.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 18:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Thanks Howard! I just checked my dash lighting... I have some exposed wires... Looks like I won't be driving her till I get her to a shop for a new harness. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/6/10 19:05
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ThePackRat wrote:
I just bought a replacement NOS headlamp switch. Not sure what happened but my parking lamps turn on first push, and only headlights the 2nd not both at the same time. . Also, my Inst-Lite button toggles my high beams as well?????

On American cars, parking lights normally were only parking lights. When you pull the headlights on, then the parking lights go off. This method was on most cars in the USA until at least the late 1960s/early 1970s. Cars in the 1950s traditionally were...

? First position: parking lights
? Second position: headlights.

Posted on: 2016/6/11 2:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved