Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

SteveP516, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Pushbutton Relay
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

carib1029
See User information
Anyone know if there is a circuit breaker that can be successfully used in place of the round circuit breaker, preferably one that can found from common sources like NAPA or like?

Posted on: 2016/6/13 20:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Pushbutton Relay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I doubt you will find a round one or one with the same screw mount spacing at NAPA but a modern universal stud terminal breaker such as the one in the photo should work just fine electrically. It is a self resetting or type I breaker and I believe the original is 20 amps. You might want to verify the size by looking on the top of your old one. The rating should be stamped in a box above the brand name and will say something like 20A.

If your car has been updated and has had the control relay removed per the bulletin the breaker will work with nothing extra needed. If your car is one of the few early cars that still have the control relay with the breaker mounted directly to a terminal on the end of the relay such as is done with the power window breaker, then you will have to make a short 14ga jumper wire to connect between the stud on the breaker and the terminal on the relay.

You may be able to get NOS from Kanter or a used one from Mike Dulinski.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.43 KB)
209_575f6b04003bd.jpg 848X694 px

Posted on: 2016/6/13 21:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
o'riellys auto, is where I got one, but that was not the problem,

12v heavy duty,, is what you want, 20 amps is what I got, but that was not the problem, I am using the round one again,

Attach file:

jpg  (23.85 KB)
4498_575f928a6c8a2.jpg 520X293 px

Posted on: 2016/6/14 0:07
Riki
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

carib1029
See User information
Thanks Howard. I called it a relay but I really did mean circuit breaker.

Posted on: 2016/6/14 10:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

carib1029
See User information
Thanks Riki. I know, it's a circuit breaker.

Posted on: 2016/6/14 10:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved