Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater core rebuild questions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
First off sorry to start another thread about this. I'm posting from my phone and I can't find the previous one.

It took me a few months to get the darn thing almost done, and now I can't find the little latch that holds the control cable to the core. And I was wondering if anybody knew where to get one. I know I had it but I've been looking for two weeks straight now, and winter is coming, so I really need to get some coolant back in it. I'm pretty sure I've had the system open to air for far too long.

Also if I wanted to flush the core could I do it with metal ready? Asuming I rinse it well.

Also off topic I spotted a white 55 (I think based on the headlights) patrician in a lot by the Ross island bridge in Portland. It was behind a fence so I couldn't get a real good look at it, but it didn't look in to bad of shape.

But atleast we know there's another v8 out there that's not destroyed completly.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 15:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater core rebuild questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Brandon, always a good idea when starting out fresh to remind us what year and model car your asking about. I'm guessing it's a 55/56 model. You asked about:

the little latch that holds the control cable to the core

I'm not aware of any cable attached to the core, just hot water hoses. Are you perhaps speaking of the Ranco heater control valve just adjacent to the heater box with the hot water inlet and outlet hoses, and the Bowden cable from the dashboard heat control?

Posted on: 2008/11/19 15:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I can think of there cables connected to the heater box area. One to the Ranco heater valve as Dave already identified. One connected to the fresh-air flapper duct, and finally the last one connected to the heater diverter for the defroster plenium.

Are you missing a lever, or just the little tab that holds down the outer cable sheathing in place?

Posted on: 2008/11/19 19:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Sorry i was at work yesterday when i posted, I have a 56 Patrician and it is indeed the tab that holds down the bowden cable for the flapper.

I didnt remove the control valve when i started the project because it was functional so i wasnt aware that it had a control cable as well.

The heater core box itself was just full of road junk, and had some knarly looking rust.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 13:29
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Brandon, I don't know about you but to me it's rewarding to sometimes actually make a small part. Not that you couldn't find the part you're looking for, but if you have some skills, you might take one of the Bowden cable retaining clips from elsewhere (the air flapper or defroster diverter) and see if you could make one yourself.

Otherwise, I'd call Mike Dulinski who has a yard and a half full of 55 and 56 Packards and get one from him. You can reach him at <Mnpacsler@aol.com>.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 14:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Thanks for the info, I figured if I asked someone if they knew where to get one I'd eventually find mine. It's amazing how it's always in the last place you'd look. For about two months it sat with my heater core. Then it was gone. And somehow it made it's way into my other car, which is odd because I don't mix my chevy and package parts.

Posted on: 2008/11/24 11:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
So it turns out that my heater core radiator is leaking from somewhere. My question is are they generally worth trying to have re soldered? Or should I plan on purchasing a new unit.

If I leave the heat off then the coolant shouldn't flow through the core, and should no longer leak until I turn it on right?

Posted on: 2009/1/19 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
More positive than just turning off the heater valve (which can also leak) is to remove the two hoses and just connect them to each other with a short piece of tubing and hose clamps.

Most radiator shops don't like repairing old cores as they could spring another leak elsewhere and be in a warranty dispute. A good radiator shop can install a new core for about $110, more or less. I'd take it out and locate the leak first, if it's in a tank or neck it's pretty easy to repair yourself, if it's actually within the core I'd go for a new one.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 11:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Thanks I hadn't thought about that. So I take it I don't necessrrily have to purchase a packard unit? Exept for originality of course.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard didn't make their own cores any more than they made their own radiators, they were bought from companies like McCord or Modine. No need to be concerned about originality with a new core, in the first place it will be pretty much identical to the original, and in the second place, who would know but you and of course it's concealed. And this is a purist about authenticity giving this advice.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 11:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved