Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953-54 AC compressor
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I was wondering what make is the air conditioner compressor used on the 6 volt models? I've never seen a round one like shown in the repair manual.

John

Posted on: 2016/8/3 19:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953-54 AC compressor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard bought their 53-54 AC units which were made by Frigidaire, a division of GM at the time so it was a GM product and a precursor to the various A series compressors which was used on millions of cars from the 50s to 70 or 80s. There is a label on the evaporator and compressor dentifying the unit as Frigidaire

An interesting point is 53 compressor pulleys were solidly connected so compressors ran all the time unless you removed the belts. Packard did that in 39-42 and kept the concept thru 54. Cadillac used the same compressors and in 53 had the same solid drive but installed a clutch on their units in 54 that turned the compressor off when AC was not turned on.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.95 KB)
209_57a2a880c2edc.jpg 756X266 px

Posted on: 2016/8/3 21:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953-54 AC compressor
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Cadillac went to 12 volt in 1953 or 54 I believe.

Thanks Howard for the information. John

Posted on: 2016/8/4 8:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved