Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

winger, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: New replacement radio for 55/56
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's something I learned decades ago (provably in the '60s) and don't recall the source so perhaps one of the electrical engineers here can explain it better but I'll try to paraphrase. It's to do with how readily electricity can travel based on surface temperatures. It apparently travels more readily from a hotter surface so on a positive ground vehicle, the spark is traveling from the cooler center electrode to the hotter tip point so needs a closer gap to be able to do it. On negative ground, the spark is from the hotter point to the cooler center electrode so a wider gap is needed.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard specified the same .033-.037 gap for pos ground 55 and neg ground 56 but the spark having an easier time jumping from a hotter surface center electrode to a colder side surface is very valid. That is the reason it is suggested when doing a polarity change, for best coil or spark efficiency and hottest spark also change the wires at the coil so the terminal on the coil going to the distributor points matches the battery ground.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 11:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 Quote:
change the wires at the coil so the terminal on the coil going to the distributor points matches the battery ground.

Good technical explanation Howard, but in actuality all one has to do is just switch the wires on the coil when doing a polarity change.

I did this on my 55 Pat. But at the same time, I added an MSD-5 "multispark" capacitive discharge box hidden in the P-side fender. I removed the ballast resistor on the firewall as it was not needed to reduce current because the MSD-5 box draws almost no current. I have not changed points ever since doing this in 2000. But, one has to occasionally check the dwell because the rubbing block on the points does wear some.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a note of correction: A ballast resistor's main purpose is to reduce voltage, not current (amperage).

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BigKev: Ballast resistor function: Resistance reduces downstream, i.e., if you have enough resistance (like an infinite resistance open circuit), one gets none of either. So I don't understand your answer. Please clarify.

On Edit: There is the "power loss" equation "PL = I^2R" which states that the electrical power converted to heat (both are energy, therefore are equivalent) varies as to the square of the amperage (I), but only the first power of the resistance (R). So to cut down on energy loss, increase the resistance which will reduce the voltage AND the current, both of which reduce the energy loss.

2nd Edit: Using Ohm's law, I = V / R, so the current varies as to the inverse of the resistance. Hence, if one increases the resistance with the same voltage (12V in a battery automobile), then the current goes down. Voltage (12V) does not change, but current varies as to the resistance in an inverse relationship. Factor that into my above edit.

BTW, it is current, not voltage that "burns points", due to electrons passing from one surface to the other.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/8/8 17:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved