Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Mechanical Car Wascher
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Notice the streamlined modern architecture typical of that 1940's period: curved section, covered with the glass-like tile Vitro-Lite, glass bricks for window lights, horizontal color accents to emphasize a linear feel. Even the neon sign enforces the idea this is the place to wash your car the modern way.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/11/13 8:52
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
~Quote:

Guscha wrote:
The time has come to wash off the salt, cement or whatsoever. As you will see later, parts of the apparatus are still manually operated, possibly to govern press-down time or to use human sensors instead of limit switches.
The car wash installation isn't brand-new as the condition of the hose pipe indicates (red marked).

source: Time Inc.

Yes... see that polished mirror-like look? THIS is how black or maroon or Packard Blue nitrocellulose lacquer looked when new. Fabulous stuff. And it would stay that way with regular waxings or Blue Coral jobs.

As for "human sensors instead of limit switches"... again, "automatic" or "auto-matic" was merely a term used to describe this kind of car wash, but it didn't mean that they were fully automatic. There wasn't one such car wash in Detroit in those days that didn't employ numerous workers doing hand labor in "automatic" car washes.

Even today's supposed fully automatic car washes still just don't get the job done without any human involvement. And the mere fact that a guy had to be there to manually hook up the drag-along also meant another guy had to be on the other end to un-hook it. By definition, this refutes the notion of fully automatic. But... that's what people called these washes and they were considered marvels of the age.

There were several of these car washes around Detroit by the late 1940s/early 1950s. There was one on Gratiot near Grand Blvd. not far from the big Packard Plant. And another on East Warren Avenue that was not far from the new Packard Plant on Warren and Conner. For whatever reason on Fridays, you could see a group of 1955-56 Four Hundred hardtops and Patrician sedans being washed there.

Posted on: 2016/11/13 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Notice the streamlined modern architecture typical of that 1940's period...

Steve (58L8134), how true.
Now to the inner mechanism. Don't miss the car antenna.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.98 KB)
757_5828921bc3d12.jpg 598X600 px

jpg  (30.14 KB)
757_5828922d06ee6.jpg 463X600 px

jpg  (56.12 KB)
757_58289239da991.jpg 600X600 px

jpg  (44.14 KB)
757_582892a489ca4.jpg 600X549 px

Posted on: 2016/11/13 11:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
There goes Leeedy again, making me envious of his being near both East Grand and Conner when they were still cranking out our cars. I could almost do the same with the St. Louis Corvette plant, circa 1954-81. At least some of you have access to the gallery of Packard plant photos that reside in the Detroit Public Library archives. Does anyone know if or when some of these photo treasures might have been published in large book format? Such a book might have separate sections or chapters for each of the major Detroit/Flint/Dearborn and Lansing brands.

I love studying factory photos for seemingly insignificant details, but can recall seeing less than fifty taken in either Packard plant in places like this website or The Cormorant. For example, it appears that one gasoline dispensing hose started the life of every Conner 55/56 Packard car.

If I have missed a source, I would appreciate being pointed to it. Hopefully, someone was documenting the Packard saga as it was unfolding. Until that happens, I will be content to hear the stories and see pictures of the young people who were witnesses, in person. Kudos to Roger and Leon for what they have done to add color to what once was.

Posted on: 2016/11/13 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The dryer design seems to be borrowed from a scary SF movie.

<iframe width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t_2ouqYZgBs?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attach file:

jpg  (29.48 KB)
757_5828d03d65476.jpg 600X442 px

Posted on: 2016/11/13 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
<iframe width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ss0GT6x66ZQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attach file:

jpg  (45.22 KB)
757_58295b97b8a4c.jpg 600X600 px

jpg  (43.09 KB)
757_58295ba5ec2e8.jpg 600X600 px

Posted on: 2016/11/14 1:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
A clean Clipper is waiting at the gate.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.24 KB)
757_582a34a554254.jpg 600X600 px

jpg  (53.21 KB)
757_582a35529186b.jpg 600X600 px

jpg  (54.39 KB)
757_582a355fd3b58.jpg 600X600 px

Posted on: 2016/11/14 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

DaveB845 wrote:
There goes Leeedy again, making me envious of his being near both East Grand and Conner when they were still cranking out our cars. I could almost do the same with the St. Louis Corvette plant, circa 1954-81. At least some of you have access to the gallery of Packard plant photos that reside in the Detroit Public Library archives. Does anyone know if or when some of these photo treasures might have been published in large book format? Such a book might have separate sections or chapters for each of the major Detroit/Flint/Dearborn and Lansing brands.

I love studying factory photos for seemingly insignificant details, but can recall seeing less than fifty taken in either Packard plant in places like this website or The Cormorant. For example, it appears that one gasoline dispensing hose started the life of every Conner 55/56 Packard car.

If I have missed a source, I would appreciate being pointed to it. Hopefully, someone was documenting the Packard saga as it was unfolding. Until that happens, I will be content to hear the stories and see pictures of the young people who were witnesses, in person. Kudos to Roger and Leon for what they have done to add color to what once was.

Ahh, yes... I was indeed there... regularly. My dad owned commercial property on Mt. Elliott... which crosses Grand Blvd. right at the Packard Plant. So I very vividly remember the storage lot on that corner filled with gleaming new Packards. To this day, I have to wonder why no one ever seems to pay attention to this important location and the building erected on that site (the last one put up in connection with Packard and STILL STANDING to this day, although somewhat modified). Transport trucks with new Packards on them left from this very spot-even after Conner was going... but nobody talks about it today.

And my uncle's store was located on East Jefferson Avenue not far from the old Hudson Plant, just off of Conner Avenue. So I also passed Conner Packard Plant regularly too. I saw Conner start up...and I saw it close.

As for photos of the plants and environs? I have tons. In the 1960s and 1970s I took lots and lots. I even still have photos of "The Packard Bar" that once stood on Mt. Elliott directly across from the yellow brick building I mentioned. They had a pool table and sold great hamburgers.

Of course there is already a series of books with photos of Packards from the NAHC at DPL. But I wish they would get some real Detroiters from the old days who really knew the cars in there to re-caption some of these photos that turn up on the internet and in books these days. Much of this stuff is obviously captioned by college kids or librarians (Hey, you! We got this box of old pictures we need identified. Write up some descriptions on the backs why don't ya?). Some the resulting captions can be almost hilarious... some are embarrassing...others kinda sad when you realize due to today's situations and mindsets, so much knowlege is being lost as we speak!

A book just about the Packard Plant would be a fabulous thing and I sure likely have enough to do one... especially combined with what the DAHC/NAHC has. Wonder if the new owner of Grand Blvd. is listening?

Here is a photo I took from the roof of the Packard Plant in the 1970s. You are looking at the company street. Note that the plant was still very much in use at the time... just no Packards...

Attach file:

jpg  (199.18 KB)
1249_582d0d680e4c9.jpg 1199X1798 px

Posted on: 2016/11/16 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
It is easy to volunteer someone else for doing something that you'd like to see done. Notwithstanding, I and others here, would appreciate you posting some of those photos from your hidden trove of Detroit and Packard memorabilia. Your more accurate recall, captured on short captions would also be a valuable step in getting the history right.

I'd suggest that small doses, just like we see from Gusha, would retain our historical interest, encourage discussion, while not imposing too much obligation or burden on any one individual. This might also stimulate interested other people to unearth their own photos and memories of things Packard, perhaps adding to the Proving Ground in a semi-permanent display of what might otherwise go forgotten in a few years. That burden, of course, should be shared by others with helping hands and their own recall.

This might be best served by establishing a separate thread, beyond the forum's present photo archives, to accommodate the descriptive captions that keep the story intact and accurate. Contributors would have a special place for their photos and short historical accounts. Better heads than mine will decide if any of this has merit.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 8:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Speaking of books, is there any revised availability updates for your book on Creative Industries? The last date Amazon listed was January but since that estimate they have stopped listing any date.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved