Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Craig's Panther Project - engine to machine shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I had the engine parts machined 15 years ago in Las Vegas where I lived at the time. Since then they have either been on a special shelf or on the floor of my garage in a corner. I'm sure I found a really good machine shop with a race-engine heritage in Las Vegas: Accurate Machine. I did an interview/walk-thru with the owner/operator a few weeks ago and today I took all the parts there to be double checked and refreshed, if necessary.

The engine itself is pretty stock except for 3-angle valve job and hardened exhaust valves in the head and an overbore of the original 352 to 374 CID. The block has also been modified by me for full flow oil filter conversion along with the Olds HV oil pump conversion. Oh yes, it has Ross custom forged pistons and full floating bushings in the rods for the piston pins.

I also found a good place to have your old rubber-worn-out harmonic balancer repaired for about $150: Dale Manufacturing in Salem, OR. Good people and quick turnaround.

I'll update this thread with the results.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/11/18 19:42
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Re: Craig's Panther Project - engine to machine shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Craig,

You already know this, but the #1 problem overlooked in Packard V8 rebuilds is cleaning the rocker shafts. They absolutely have to be disassembled, the soft plugs at both ends removed, hot tank cleaned, rodded out with a wire bore brush, hot tanked again and all the holes blown out prior to reassembly.

Then, the rocker arm pushrod sockets have to be individually examined. On rare occasions, they will be worn so deeply they will grab the pushrod and prevent rotation.

Finally, the rocker tips have to be reground.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/12/10 12:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
So I guess Dale is back in business for balancers? I found him back on the 55 restoration and he did a wonderful job at 1/3 the price of most places. Then he shut down the harmonic balancer rebuilds to focus on retiring and doing the violins. His website even said so. But now it appears to be back in full swing with balancers again.

If this is true I'll be sending him my 37 balancer as I was going to just put it back on due to the fact that I have already gone way over budget as it is. It looks usable as is, but at Dale's prices it's a no brainer to send it in.

As for the rocker arm rod. I just soaked mine in my witches brew for several months as I wasn't in a hurry. But I agree with Jack if you are wanting then clean in a hurry. Maybe look at jack redoing your cam and going with the springs I acquired as well. Have fun!!

Posted on: 2016/12/10 14:03
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Cli55er Quote:
Maybe look at jack redoing your cam and going with the springs I acquired as well.

I already had the stock cam regound to my specs along with new springs, retainers and split locks.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 16:19
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
As for the rocker arm rod. I just soaked mine in my witches brew for several months as I wasn't in a hurry. But I agree with Jack if you are wanting then clean in a hurry.
Your results may vary, but I've never been able to get a Packard or Studebaker rocker shaft clean inside without removing the end plugs and using a wire bore brush. Unbelievable the crud inside some of them.

jack vines

Posted on: 2016/12/11 12:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
oh I agree with you. mine sat in degreaser for months on end with me taking them out and dunking them over and over again, letting the brew run out the holes, and all kinds of crud came out of them.

they aren't as clean as what you are doing probably, but when I washed them up in water, I kept going until the water was clear and no more chunks came out.

could be that I still have some junk in them, no idea for sure. if I had to guess they are 85-90% clean. purple power is some wicked stuff, especially when you let parts sit in it for months.

your way is the better way for sure and the best way to make 100% sure it is clean visually.

Posted on: 2016/12/11 12:55
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved