Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Rearward vision (mirrors)
Just popping in
Just popping in

Peter Hemken
See User information
I have read the posts from a number of years ago concerning side mount mirrors and noted that apparently I am not the only person looking for a pair as shown in the 1934 accessories catalog that clamp onto the metal side mount covers. Has anyone found a source? Or perhaps found a pattern that could be used to manufacture these mirrors?

I contacted Jay Fisher last year with no success. He apparently had no stock remaining and was no longer in business.

Peter Hemken
West Des Moines, IA

Posted on: 2015/12/7 16:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Going back perhaps 25 years there were 2 or more sources for these mirrors but the largest and last (to my knowledge though you might check with American Arrow) was Jay Fisher but even as recently as 6 years ago he was unable to supply the clamping base and levers. To date apparently no one sees enough future business to purchase his business and tooling and continue the venture which is a shame but at this point the demand for these is probably very small. These are very difficult to find, all I can suggest is to keep searching; my '34 came with the See-Rite strap-on mirrors and for years I looked for a spare just to have extra parts and finally did find one on eBay perhaps 10 years ago. Keep looking, maybe you'll get lucky.

The base plate is the most complex part; if you could borrow one and have some lost wax castings made in stainless or brass, the rest wouldn't be too hard to fabricate. I believe the round mirror itself and perhaps the stanchion may be available from Kanters.

Even rarer than the mirrors themselves are the original padlocks. There are modern little petite locks, even with Packard engraved on them, but they of course are incorrect. Here's an original.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.73 KB)
177_5666ee92056eb.jpg 1280X849 px

jpg  (29.65 KB)
177_5666f660ebed2.jpg 600X936 px

Posted on: 2015/12/8 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
These people advertise a range of side mount mirrors.
http://www.classicaccessories.org/

Posted on: 2015/12/8 20:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved