Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Is there a way to increase height in a 1956 Torsion bar suspension?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have often made and installed "#5" pins for saggy 56s (55s seldom need them). The bodies of the pins are just 3/4"dia mild steel so are easy to make. Cut neatly to length, preferably on a lathe, drill a 7/16 hole about 3/4 deep in each end and chamfer. Drill rod works quite well. Install your old ends. A #5 is 5 1/8" long and is about the upper limit of what will fit in. Each 1/2" increase in pin length, ie, one size, raises the car about 3/4.

If this still won't bring your car up off its knees (I agree the skirt should split the hex, or slightly above for a bit extra bump travel), then install helper spring shocks on the FRONT.

The reason is that under most moderate load conditions the compensator bars are actually holding the back of the car DOWN. If you don't believe me unhook the compensator arms from the leveler and see how she sits. So, if you push up the front a relatively small amount with some sort of helpers, the compensator will bring up the back to match and you get a relatively big bang for the buck.

I find getting the ride height right really worth it--makes a big difference in the ride quality on rougher roads.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 21:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Is there a way to increase height in a 1956 Torsion bar suspension?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Brief udate: I installed the adjustable bars in the front with great results. Since you can play with the height on one side or the other, it helped level my car not only front to back but also side to side (my car was sagging a bit more on the right side). The rear ended up almost level, though on one side I get the skirt to divide the hex in the middle, while in the other one the closest I got to that is still a little over 1/2" different, which is not really noticeable. I am happy!

Now, I just found out I have incorrect shocks, not long enough, so you can hear a solid noise when on a bump, like it comes to it's end, all the way out. I already ordered a new set. That will also help improve the ride a lot.

Thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2009/10/15 17:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved