Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 237

Packard Don, DJP-37-120, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do I empty the gas tank?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
It sat for 7 years. I siphoned some out and it is still gas but I don't want it going thru all the fuel system. Then where do I get rid of the gasoline? Who takes it? Pep Boys does not. Where?

Posted on: 2017/4/25 23:43
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Re: How do I empty the gas tank?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
These tanks do have a drain plug, but it is probably rusted shut. You can clean it with a wire brush and start soaking with penetrating oil for a day or two. Another option would be to remove the fuel line from the tank. Again, clean with wire brush and soak with penetrating oil, tap with hammer, use a brake/fuel line wrench that grips on 5 sides of the fuel line fitting instead of a normal open end wrench.

If you disconnect the fuel line you can also clean that out while you're at it.

As far as getting rid of old gas...let as much evaporate as you can?

Posted on: 2017/4/26 7:55
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Regarding the drain plug. If it hasn't been off before -- or at least not for a long time -- I would bet money it will be rusted and stuck fast. DO NOT just grab a wrench and try to remove it. The tapered round threaded part going into the tank the plug screws into is just a pressed or maybe a crimped on fitting to the sheetmetal. If the plug is rusted solid the fitting will turn and break the seal to the metal. You then have a leak that is extremely difficult to repair.

As was mentioned, give a good soak with penetrating oil first. When you start to remove the plug hold the tapered round piece on the tank with a small pipe wrench or some large visegrips while you work at unscrewing the plug. Even with all that the plug may not want to budge. Do not force it.. The next step would be to proceed to plan two which is trying the siphon or removing the tank and pouring the old gas out. If the plug does come out then it would be better if you didn't reuse it. Get a brass plug from the hardware store that will not rust again as a replacement.

Posted on: 2017/4/26 9:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Brenda, I'm assuming you have a Fuel Sender in the top of your tank. You can always put a jack under the tank and lower it and remove the gas that way, thru the Fuel Sender hole. If you can't get the drain plug out. As other people have stated don't just put a wrench on the plug and try to break it loose. The housing for the plug can come loose and then you will have a bigger problem.
As far as what to do with the old gas, contact your waste department, normally they have a couple times a year you can turn in stuff like that( oil paints and other stuff like that).
Good luck.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/4/26 9:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved