Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cross referencing regulators
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hi, just wondered if anyone can tell me how to cross reference an Autolite VRB- 4012A voltage regulator. I believe they are hard to find and I just found out there are other makes that will work the same as the VRB-4012A. Thank you!

Steve

Posted on: 2017/5/5 14:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Cross referencing regulators
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
BTW, that Autolite VRB 4012A is for a 1939 Super 8.

Posted on: 2017/5/5 17:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only other vehicle my Motor's Manual lists as using the VRB-4012A is the 1939 Studebaker Commander.

Posted on: 2017/5/5 17:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You need a Hollander Interchange manual or someone having one earlier than mine to check if it is listed in theirs. I have a 23rd edition published in 1957 but it only goes back to 1940. The only VRB-4012 version that edition lists is the 4012B-1 regulator and not the A.

There is a 22d edition on ebay now that MIGHT cover it but at an asking price of $65 it would be a steep price to find out it doesn't. A Hollander is well worth having though, so even if it doesn't have the particular regulator you are looking for there is a wealth of other info.

Here is a partial list of possibilities and an example of how Hollander listings are covered with all the interchanges that could be possible replacements for the 4012B-1.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.45 KB)
209_590cff8ce4502.jpg 394X712 px

Posted on: 2017/5/5 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have the appropriate Hollander's and will take a look later. But I've found Motors a more reliable source for this info.

UPDATE: My Hollander 16th Edition (≈1929-48) shows NO interchange for a 1939 Super 8 AutoLite regulator. My vintage catalog for Standard Ignition service parts shows no substitute NORS unit for the VRB-4012A. My NAPA/Echlin catalog does not go back to prewar. The differences between the 1938 and 1939 Super Eight generators are quite small, perhaps the 1938 unit VRB-4002D would perform reasonably well?

But when in doubt, why not just pick up the phone and talk to an expert in this area like Jason at AER?

Posted on: 2017/5/5 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Owen, do you have the address or phone number of AER? I never heard of AER. Thank you.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/5/6 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve, I suggest you join The Packard Club and take the time to read their monthly newsletter, lots of hobby service providers worth making a note of.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.28 KB)
177_590e0ec98320b.jpg 418X743 px

Posted on: 2017/5/6 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Owen and Howard, thanks for the info, I will call AER on Monday!

Steve

Posted on: 2017/5/6 22:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved