Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do you find the 'high spot'???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
When I got my '39 Six, the steering was unusable. The open-face thrust bearings that stabilize the sector wheel in the steering box had disintegrated and there was at least a half a steering wheel revolution of play. I had to remove the steering box and had a local machinist make some bushings as the open face ball bearings are no longer available. This improved the steering, but there is still about 6" of play at the wheel. I have been told it is important to line up the 'high spot' of the steering shaft worm gear with the center position of the steering wheel or there will be excessive play no matter how exact the steering box bearing tolerances are. My question is: How do 'find' the 'high spot'??? I can't see any markings on the worm gear. Does anyone know the correct procedure to line up the sector wheel? When I put it back in, I tried to have the wheels straight and have the worm gear engaging the sector wheel as close to the half way mark as I could, but in rethinking this, it would be so easy to have the worm gear off by a quarter turn or so, either way and 'miss' the 'high spot'. I talked to a steering box rebuilder and he said even if a rebuilt steering box is reinstalled with the worm gear misaligned, there will be play. Any advice or help here would be hugely appreciated.

Posted on: 2017/7/16 21:00
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: How do you find the 'high spot'???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the procedure as given in the 51-4 manual. The 38-9 manual doesn't go into the description of turning between end stops and then going back to exactly 1/2 the amount of turns it took to go full but you were on the right track. I would think it should work the same way for 39 even though the steering boxes are different. The amount of measured force needed to pull the 39 wheel thru the high spot is much higher than the amount given for the later models so you would need to use those earlier numbers if you want to go exactly by the book.

If you don't have a scale, Amazon has spring scales or balances as they are sometimes called. You could also use an electronic hanging or hand held fish scale in place of the spring scale mentioned in the procedure. A local store should carry those as again does Amazon. They can be bought for around $10-15 in the range needed with an accuracy of grams or ounces which is probably better than the scales Packard used.

Attach file:

jpg  (301.69 KB)
209_596c20ebd5be7.jpg 1542X1596 px

Posted on: 2017/7/16 21:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved