Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Packard air conditioning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Was wondering if anyone has an air-conditioning compressor bracket like the one displayed in the pic below, I would be interested in one if the price is reasonable

Attach file:

jpg  (18.62 KB)
3005_598b88ff012b3.jpg 500X271 px

Posted on: 2017/8/9 17:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard air conditioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Jack Vines doesn't see the post send him a PM and see if he might still have one.

Posted on: 2017/8/9 17:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That photo shows the original Lehigh V-4 compressor on a Packard V-8 engine, but it's on the wrong side of the engine, and the bracket appears to be home made. The original bracket is cast iron and quite heavy. It mounts on the driver's side of the engine.

Posted on: 2017/8/16 14:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It could be a home made bracket but some independent companies also used the V4 compressor and had it on the passenger side. Here is one such install.

Attach file:

jpg  (139.48 KB)
209_5994a64feebd6.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2017/8/16 15:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've never had an example of the OEM cast iron bracket. All those I've had, including the one I have on the shelf, have been fabricated steel, quite well made.

It seems most aftermarket suppliers decided the right side was better than the OEM left. Wonder why?

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/8/17 8:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
........ It seems most aftermarket suppliers decided the right side was better than the OEM left. Wonder why?

jack vines

I have also wondered why Packard chose the left as it took some engineering work to relocate the oil filter. ARA also copied the factory and had their compressor on the left. ARA made another bracket for the oil filter and mounted it using the water pump manifold bolts rather than mount the filter on the compressor bracket so at least that was a sort of improvement.

My theory is because of the heater Packard just decided to run all the AC plumbing into the car on the less congested left side. To keep it simple and avoid hoses needing to cross over the engine they mounted the compressor on that side too. Not sure what ARA's reasoning was because their hoses do cross over.

My gripe with the factory mount is it really limits access to the thermostat. You need to unbolt the filter and remove the compressor and bracket to reach the silly thing but the short AC hose to the firewall doesn't allow much movement of the bracket.

Posted on: 2017/8/17 9:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
My big question is: why didn't they buy GM Harrison systems? They bought Delco generators, Voltage regulators, distributors, Guide lighting units--why not GM Harrison A/C systems?

Posted on: 2017/8/17 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That looks like the bracket I used on my '55.
Had to change the Fuel Pump over to the dual used on the Hudsons that used the Packard V-8 to use it though.

Posted on: 2017/8/17 15:19
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I just realized that they did something odd with the oil fill on that Pivot air install with the Lehigh compressor. It looks like the tube may be bent to go under and behind the compressor.

Posted on: 2017/8/17 15:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The 56 is a Clardy install.

Attach file:

jpg  (268.08 KB)
1220_59962f55d3986.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/8/17 19:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved