Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
47 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 46

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: replacement power steering pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
What company built power steering pumps for Packard in 55 and 56?

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/12/26 21:34
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe they were Eaton.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
hh56 that is exactly what happened. i took another look, and on close inspection, i could actually see bits of molten metal around the rotors outer edge.

is that race removeable? like could i replace it if i managed to drive it out? i dont want to go out there and beat on it with no idea of whats going on. i know kanters sells a rotor rebuild kit, but does anyone know if the race is included?

Posted on: 2008/12/26 22:04
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know what's in Kanter's kit but doubt it. Logically, since the whole purpose of a rebuild is to restore clearances to worn parts one would think that race would be included, however the pict on Max Merritt's site only shows the rotors. There is not a separate race listing in parts book and arrow only points to rotors for kit.

Don't remember ever trying to take the race out but it's probably pressed in. If the inner rotor is out, is there a possibility of getting something behind and prying outer rotor somewhat gently and seeing the construction. Better yet would be something that would fit inside and expand like some of the trans bushing removal tools. Whatever method, doesn't seem like too much of a risk for more damage at this point--as long as the back surface of pump rotor bore isn't damaged or gouged.

Does the race look like bearing material or wonder if maybe a simple sleeve that could be machined? Looking at the rebuild plus core charges or even kit prices, O-D's suggestion of giving Mike D. & others a call sounds like a good option.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
yeah kanter said north of $450, and while i have the money, i am not interested in paying that much.

Ill make some phoone calls and ill see what happens. thank you all for the help!

Posted on: 2008/12/26 23:05
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen gave good advice. Mike Dulinski sent me one for a reasoanable price and it is working fine. Keep an eye out for one on ebay. I bought a NOS one there,just the pump, not the pulley or bracket or resrvoir, but you can use all that from your existing pump. Give Mike a call and tell him whether you need a Monroe or Bendix. They are the same basic pump. The Monroe has "900" stamped on the outlet/pressure side of the pump.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 23:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have a working Monroe pump if you can't find one. I'd say just drop in your pressure relief spring and you should be fine.

Posted on: 2008/12/27 2:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved